We currently have a 12 month contract / full-time vacancy for an editor on our Central Editing Desk in London, an exciting position, on the cutting edge of the news flow of a leading global provider of energy and commodity news, pricing, analytics and information.
The successful applicant will be responsible, along with other team members, primarily for ensuring the quality and timeliness of our real-time news wire output and market commentaries across worldwide service lines plus a wide range of other reports and publications. The role could also include heavy involvement in editorial content for the website Platts.com for which CED has responsibility – anything from blogs to audio, videos or interactive graphics.
The successful candidate should have the ability not only to process and enhance copy but to work with reporters in a positive and constructive manner with a tremendous amount of strength and patience. The team will constantly have to assess and prioritize incoming material, agree how to split the workload, and carry out their tasks as quickly and efficiently as possible, all without losing sight of the need to ensure the high quality of the finished content.
You will be required to learn about Platts editorial content and its target audience extremely well, engage with the reporters and managers in London and around the world and become expertly acquainted with our internal IT systems.
- The ability to edit copy, at speed and under pressure, dealing with a range of complex subject matter and making clear decisions quickly
- Processing, and making highly readable, copy from a wide variety of writing skill levels and cultures and ensuring everything transmitted to our subscribers is accurate and error-free
- Working in a team with colleagues around the globe, engaging with reporters and freelances, helping writers develop stories and other material and providing extensive feedback about submitted copy
- Working knowledge of energy and commodities markets and industries highly advantageous
- While experience in a news wire or similar environment is very desirable, a busy newspaper office could be equally valuable grounding.
- Experience working in digital environments, including handling video, audio and interactive material and promoting on social media, is also a definite bonus
- The core working day for the London desk is between 10:00 am and 6:00pm approx. with occasional late finishes between 7:30 pm-8:00pm. Early starts and late finishes organised according to rota.
About S&P Global Platts and S&P Global:
- S&P Global is the world’s foremost provider of ratings, benchmark and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Its division includes S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and S&P Global Platts. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
- We are looking for world-class thinkers to join our team at S&P Global Platts, the principal provider of commodity price assessment and information to more than 10,000 customers in 150 countries. The content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the markets.
- Our real-time news, pricing and analytical services help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a global company with a strong history of growth and a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
- Be known as a respected source of essential information and part of a renowned brand.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of S&P Global – a company that fosters development and growth, as well as work-life balance.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position