The QMJ Group is seeking an ambitious, self-starting editor to create written B2B content across our printed and digital platforms, at our city centre based offices in Nottingham.
An experienced journalist who has already held a senior position, you must be able to demonstrate both a strong commercial awareness of B2B magazines and the ability to produce insightful, original and engaging copy. You must also strike the right balance between editorial integrity and the ability to spot opportunities and generate revenue-friendly ideas to support a motivated advertising team. An ability to source breaking industry news and identify emerging trends is also essential.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a settled editorial team for two market-leading publications and websites. You will gain exposure to both sides of our business (aggregates and dimensional stone) throughout the first 18-24 months of your appointment, with a view to eventually taking on the main editor’s role at the Natural Stone Specialist magazine and Stone Specialist website as part of our succession planning.
You will also provide commentary, insight and general PR for our related exhibitions and conferences.
The QMJ Group Ltd is a privately-owned, market-leading publishing and exhibition business that serves the quarrying, recycling and natural stone industries.
Natural Stone Specialist is the UK’s only magazine dedicated to the natural stone industry. Each issue focuses on specialist sectors of the market, in addition to featuring some of the most interesting projects in stone, both new build and conservation. Stonespecialist.com is the industry website for the sector.
Quarry Management is the official monthly journal of The Institute of Quarrying and covers all the latest news, issues, developments and advances in the quarry products sector. For 100 years Quarry Management has been required reading for those responsible for specifying plant, equipment, materials and services used in the production of aggregates, asphalt and concrete. Agg-Net.com is the leading digital platform for aggregates industry visited by around 40,000 unique visitors every month.
The Natural Stone Show and Hard Surfaces are trade shows for the UK stone and tile industries, bringing together everyone involved in the production, design, specification and purchasing chain. The show takes place every two years at London's premier exhibition venue ExCeL.
The Hillhead show is a biennial showcase for the minerals and heavy construction industries which takes place at Tarmac’s Hillhead Quarry in Buxton, Derbyshire. It hosts around 550 exhibitors and includes four dedicated demonstration areas. In 2018, it attracted 20,000 visitors.
The QMJ group also owns BDS Marketing Research, a market research consultancy specialising in the construction materials and waste sectors.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely with the editor-in-chief to oversee all editorial connected to the natural stone brand;
- Support other QMJ editorial platforms either temporarily or permanently depending on the needs of the business;
- Source, research and write industry features, news stories, company reports, project overviews and analysis articles for our magazines and websites;
- Interview key industry figures;
- Occasionally sub and proof other journalists’ work, maintaining our high grammatical and factual reputation;
- Generate and maintain relationships with key industry representatives at trade bodies, associations, government agencies and NGOs;
- Manage print and online deadlines according to the agreed schedule;
- Regularly edit the Homepage and other relevant areas of the website;
- Utilise our social media presence to broadcast news and updates to our readership;
- Represent the natural stone brand at industry events with occasional overnight stays as required;
- Source and manage content for regular newsletters;
- Proofread and sign-off pages for print;
- Plan editorial content for magazine development and lead quarterly features meetings with the advertising team;
- Represent the stone brand at commercial client meetings when required;
- Provide the advertising department with contacts and leads to ensure all commercial opportunities are maximised; and
- Assist with press releases for our related exhibitions and conferences when required.
The successful applicant will have:
- Degree or equivalent qualification;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience gained in a B2B editorial environment. A construction, architectural or industrial editorial background is highly desirable;
- Driving licence and a car;
- An organised and professional attitude that prides itself on attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent proof-reading skills;
- The ability to work under pressure to ensure all deadlines are met;
- Online skills including digital editing and experience of social media;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- The ability to impact and influence; and
- Content production experience (this is advantageous but not essential as training can be provided).
What we offer:
- Competitive annual salary (DoE) + bonus scheme;
- Private health and disability insurance;
- Contributory pension plan;
- Life cover;
- 25 days holiday in addition to the bank holidays;
- A clear path to career progression within two years as part of our succession planning strategy; and
- A commitment to continual professional development.
- £25,000-£35,000 DoE + benefits
Closing date: Friday 8 November 2019
Due to the high level of applications we receive we are unable to respond to each application. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, then you have been unsuccessful in getting to the next stage.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position