Editor – Food Media Division
Employer: Yandell Media Group Ltd
Salary: £27,000 - £35,000 DoE
Location: Milton Keynes, England
An opportunity has arisen to join our small, family run niche media company in Milton Keynes as editor of our food publishing portfolio, which includes a monthly and a bi-monthly magazine, a twice-yearly magazine and an annual publication, plus two websites with weekly e-newsletters.
About the titles
Meat Management magazine is a high quality monthly B2B magazine serving the UK’s £24 billion meat industry. Food Management Today serves the wider food industry with bi-monthly frequency including the processing, manufacturing and multiple retail sectors. Both magazines are available in print and online digital e-magazine. The accompanying websites are updated daily and throughout the week with exclusive content that’s SEO friendly and highly sharable.
Both markets are served by four leading Award events in their respective markets, which are owned and organised by Yandell Media. The magazine brands and reputation dovetail fully with these activities and the editor, together with the team plays an important part in their promotion and in generating appropriate content prior to and post events, as required.
As editor you’re responsible for all content across the print and online portfolio. We’re looking for someone who is a good creative thinker, who uses their initiative and is used to working under pressure to meet constant deadlines.
You will be expected to act as an ambassador for the brands and work with the publisher and advertising sales managers to ensure all our products are commercially successful. You will create content that is appealing to our audience, keeping tone to style.
As well as writing, editing and commissioning pieces, you’ll also be expected to contribute ideas for developing the media you’re responsible for and attend launches, events and exhibitions. This can occasionally mean working weekends and evenings, and there may also be overseas assignments. This is no 9-5.30 job but it can be huge fun and very rewarding in a dynamic and challenging market.
There are some very exciting aspects to the job but it also comes with the responsibility of updating an annual directory to ensure listings and content is accurate. You need to be great at admin to ensure you and your editorial team, including contributors, are organised.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Line management and development of the editorial team (currently one full-time plus potential resources from other team members).
- Oversee and edit our printed issues, from cover to cover working alongside our design team.
- Daily upkeep of our websites; keeping content relevant and working with the CMS to create news and features with eye catching headlines, and to update existing pages.
- Write news stories and features for both the magazine and website, in addition to conducting interviews with anyone from a government minister, or CEO, to a retail butcher or a trade body.
- Organise workload through the in-house team and via a team of freelance contributors.
- Planning of each printed issue, within a rolling schedule that meets the needs of the readers, whilst satisfying the marketing requirements of advertisers.
- Work with the commercial team to ensure advertisers are kept happy.
- Source relevant stories, turning them into quality content through research and by developing relationships with the food and meat industry, including PR companies.
- Assisting with content and press duties of our own events.
- Analyse and report on effectiveness of content and engagement.
The candidate will have:
- Previous experience as an editor, deputy editor or section editor.
- Fast, accurate and yet superb writing and editing skills with a proven ability to produce sparkling copy and help the editorial team do the same.
- A keen understanding of SEO and an eagerness to evolve best practice.
- Previously worked with content management systems for producing web content.
- Experience managing social media pages.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- The ability to keep calm under pressure.
- Experience of the food industry may be an advantage but is definitely not essential.
We will only contact applicants who are successful in obtaining an interview and may close the position early if we find the right person, so do apply without delay.
To apply please click the "Apply Online" button below - remember to include your CV and a covering letter, addressed to Graham Yandell outlining why you're interested in the position and feel you have the skills and experience we are looking for.
(No agencies please).
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position