The Cyprus Media Group is seeking an experienced editor in chief to run Cyprus Today title, based at North Cyprus - Nicosia.
This is your opportunity to lead the largest and most comprehesive English-language newspaper in North Cyprus. Read by foreign residents and tourists locally, and with subscribers in nine countries worldwide.
The job holder will edit and publish breaking news and features to Cyprus Today standards and work with senior editors to plan and organise ahead of time to ensure the best possible reader experience.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for planning and executing programming decisions - including mobile, desktop, email alerts and newsletters—to inform and engage readers, and oversee the running of all social media accounts.
Candidates must understand the demands of island news and readers’ expectations and be comfortable making fast, independent decisions, while also collaborating with team members. Exceptional news judgement is essential, along with the ability to sharply rewrite, edit and elevate stories of all types with speed and depth under deadline pressure. A deep interest in all areas of news is also essential.
Candidates must be versatile and have the ability to handle multiple articles and responsibilities across platforms calmly and efficiently and to the highest standard. Experience in digital journalism and publishing, plus an appreciation of modern and innovative storytelling techniques, will be advantageous.
The editor in chief will work full time.
- Exercises superb judgment in packaging and presenting news;
- Demonstrates excellence in editing and headline writing;
- Has proven skill and commitment to enhancing and expanding the skills of staff members;
- Is effective with delegation;
- Employs strong design and visual judgement;
- Understands how to balance breaking news with enterprise and features journalism;
- Helps connect the content with the audience;
- Digital media skills are desirable but not essential at the outset;
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions;
- Uses audience data to inform curation and strategy decisions, adjusting as needed;
- Understands the value of search-engine optimization, notably headlines and tags; and
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting publishing issues.
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to make decisions under pressure;
- Is detail-oriented, but also has the ability to see the bigger picture;
- Prioritises tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities;
- Has intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn;
- Meets deadlines;
- Understands workflow;
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks; and
- Functions well within a team.
Cyprus Media Group
Dr. Fazıl Küçük Caddesi, Nicosia
Tel: 00903922252555 Ext:215
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position