Independent News & Media are seeking to recruit an outstanding leader and journalist to be editor-in-chief of the Belfast Telegraph, the Sunday Life and belfasttelegraph.co.uk.
Reporting directly to the publisher of INM, the editor-in-chief will also work collaboratively with INM’s MD of publishing and digital director in Northern Ireland. The editor-in-chief will help to maintain the Belfast Telegraph and Sunday Life’s reputation for superb, agenda-setting journalism and opinion. He/she will help to transform the newsroom from its current primary focus on print to a dual focus on digital and print.
The role holder will be a champion for innovation and creativity and work with a team of talented journalists to consolidate and improve the content offering. He/she will also work collaboratively with commercial departments to ensure key objectives are achieved.
The successful candidate will have a broad network of contacts and be able to combine editorial skills with business insights. They will be a strong people manager.
- Leading and inspiring a talented team of editors and journalists to produce outstanding journalism across INM’s titles in Northern Ireland.
- Working as part of the INM management team to ensure the Belfast Telegraph and Sunday Life achieve commercial targets.
- Ensuring a primary focus on quality journalism and digital subscriptions.
- Mentoring and coaching staff members on their performance.
- Hiring new talent & developing existing talent.
- Managing budgets and working with the deputy publisher and INM Legal Manager to reduce litigation risks and adhere to best journalistic practice.
Experience and qualifications (minimum experience & essential knowledge):
Proven track record as an inspirational media professional and leader. At least five years’ experience as a senior editorial executive with a national newspaper or media outlet and experience in digital publishing.
Technical & non technical
- News and story judgment; understands what content will engage and retain our present consumers, as well as attract new audiences.
- Understanding of the current and future needs of our consumers – awareness of how INM’s products are consumed.
- Organisation – ability to manage and organise across multiple titles and platforms.
- Strong team player who can work with other departments across the organisation.
- Accuracy, fairness, balance, commitment to ethics.
- Creative flair.
- Ability to conceptualise.
- Planning and organising.
- Effective collaboration.
- Customer and market focus.
- Commercially minded.
- Readily embraces and adapts to change.
If you are interested in the above vacancy, please click the "Apply Online" button below.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position