Music Teacher is the essential magazine and website resource for music education practitioners, both classroom teachers and peripatetic/private instrumental teachers.
The publication is looking for a new Editor to serve the needs of its passionate readership, and to champion the importance of music teaching.
Roles and responsibilities
- Plan, commission and edit monthly magazine content including a range of practical features, reviews, lesson plans, news and comment, ensuring delivery of high quality articles, and engaging layouts
- Help oversee Music Teacher’s new website to grow engagement and the digital community
- Develop contacts in the sector, representing the publication at events to all stakeholders
- Act as head of music content for the Music & Drama Music Education Expo – Europe’s leading conference and exhibition in the sector- curating a programme of high quality engaging CPD seminar sessions
- Act as the publication’s ambassador, championing the importance of music education for all children’s learning
- Identify and respond to trends in music education with fresh ideas for content and audience engagement
- Liaise with colleagues in other departments, including advertising, subscriptions, marketing and events, to grow the Music Teacher brand and achieve its commercial objectives
- Come up with ideas to expand the brand into new areas, generating fresh revenue streams
- Manage and coach the publication’s editorial assistant to contribute new ideas and high-quality articles
- Ensure the magazine is produced each month on time and to budget
- A passion for music in all its genres, and the important role it plays in children and young people’s learning
- Five years editorial experience, preferably in a journalistic environment
- A desire to discover and meet the needs of the reader, first and foremost
- A knack for producing clean, crisp copy and writing compelling headlines
- Fastidious attention to detail
- An understanding of, or the ability to quickly pick up, the detail and terminology of the UK music education sector and the debates within it
- Experience of managing staff, and coaching skills
- Proactive in building relationships internally and externally
- Understanding of media law, especially libel
Mark Allen Group company overview
Music Teacher magazine is part of MA Education, a division of the Mark Allen Group, a fast-developing independent publishing house with offices in London, Kent and Wiltshire.
The group is a 450-staff, growing, progressive media business, which delivers high-quality content through 100+ market-leading journals, magazines, events and websites. Our brands offer unrivalled access to specialists in healthcare, education, business and consumer markets.
Our success comes from our focus on editorial excellence; our in-depth knowledge of our markets’ and our customers’ needs; our commitment to engage, inspire and educate our audiences; and our ability to think differently and provide innovative client-focused solutions.
ST JUDES CHURCH
Tel: 020 7738 5454
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position