Mark Allen is a leading and dynamic media and information group. Our mission is to connect specialist audiences with critical information. We produce content to our ever-growing audiences through print, digital, events and conferences.
Nursery World is the leading brand for the early years education and childcare sector across print, digital and events, providing advice, information, news and opinion for senior leaders, managers, and practitioners since its launch in 1925. The title has unparalleled standing and loyalty with its audience, building on its heritage while always keeping ahead of new developments in a £6.7 billion sector which is vital for young children's education and well-being, family support and the UK economy.
We are recruiting for one of the most important roles in b2b publishing as Nursery World's editor of more than two decades, Liz Roberts, is to step up to a part-time editor-in-chief role to help spearhead wider activities for the Nursery World brand, and provide ongoing support and guidance for the Nursery World team.
Roles and responsibilities
- Put together and distribute flatplans for the monthly issue and supplements
- Work with relevant team members to decide, commission and edit practice and management content.
- Work with the news editor to decide news, analysis and opinion content, sometimes commissioning and editing this.
- Work with the designer to oversee page layouts and any new designs or redesigns needed.
- Organise sub-editing of pages, read and correct proofs and pass all pages in time to go to press, using InDesign skills.
- Write the leader for the magazine, plus regular sections to promote forthcoming content and highlight notable contributors in the issue, and the coverlines for each issue.
- Oversee the magazine's regular supplements, working with the relevant team members to decide, commission and edit content up to passing pages for press.
- Oversee sponsored content, working with the commercial team and clients, to commission and edit sponsored guides and features.
- Organise conversion of print content for the website and the institutional subscription archive.
- Commission photo shoots for magazine features.
- Responsible for keeping the website updated and offering regular new content to increase traffic and revenue.
- Oversee formatting and publishing of magazine content online
- Work with the news editor and reporters on daily news stories, sometimes commissioning and editing content.
- Work with editorial and other teams to create other online-only content and sponsored content.
- Oversee and approve daily email bulletins, creating and sending these as needed.
- Run social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Involvement with Nursery World awards, conferences, business summit, webinars and other brand extensions.
- Management of Nursery World editorial team, ensuring good communication and high standards of work. Carry out appraisals, set KPIs and evaluate training requirements.
- Manage freelancers and ensure high standards of work.
- Contribute to title strategy and development, working with management and brand teams
- Responsible for editorial budgets
- Working with design and production to produce high-quality content on schedule.
- Work with events, marketing, commercial and management teams to build on the success of the Nursery World brand.
- Cultivate contacts with sector leaders, new authors and speakers.
- Build productive relationships with organisations across the early years sector.
- Media interviews and appearances as an early years expert commentator.
- Good all-round journalistic experience
We positively celebrate diversity and inclusion in the Mark Allen Group. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, because it makes our company stronger. We are committed to achieving a working environment that provides equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We aim to become the most inclusive business in Publishing- both for our people and our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we work with. We want people from all backgrounds to feel valued for their individuality and to thrive in our business and feel part of the family-run Mark Allen Group.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position