Argus is an independent media organisation with 1,300 staff, we are one of the world’s largest companies providing news, analysis and price information to commodities and energy markets. We report first-hand on what’s happening globally in the energy space – from hydrogen to coal, crude oil to green ammonia, carbon markets to wind farms. And we do the same for economically vital markets in agriculture, fertilisers, metals and chemicals.
We employ almost 500 journalists worldwide and have 29 offices in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, China, Japan, Singapore and North and South America. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network. Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Partnership and Inclusivity.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for a passionate and driven editor to join our team. You will edit the weekly and daily global phosphate fertiliser market reports, assessing key price points and covering deals/sales, sales and purchase tenders as well as key policy and country-specific market developments. You will also manage a phosphates reporter ensuring key tasks are allocated between you both.
The development of the phosphates market is vitally important in terms of boosting crop yields and feeding an expanding global population. Argus covers both global markets for the three primary nutrients (nitrogen, phosphates and potash) as well as compound NPKs and raw materials sulphur, sulphuric acid and ammonia. It also publishes regional reports for Brazil, North America, Europe and now Africa.
Fertilisers are vital to agricultural development. They are also vital to Argus’ bottom line. Global fertiliser trade is substantial at nearly 150mn t nitrogen, phosphates, and potash.
In a competitive marketplace, Argus has invested heavily in its editorial resources. Our team is truly global, with editors/reporters located in London, Asia, North America, Latin America and Russia. This provides unrivalled coverage of local markets and implications at the global level.
This is an excellent opportunity to forge your career covering the economically and politically influential sector of the global fertiliser market. You will apply and develop your skills across daily/weekly news reporting, market analysis, features and editorials in this fast-paced environment with the highest standards of journalistic independence and integrity. There are many opportunities to travel present papers at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions. Argus runs numerous fertiliser conferences and the right candidate is encouraged to present and become an industry expert.
You will be responsible for weekly and daily price assessments in the international market and write daily market commentaries and news as well as write and edit the weekly and daily phosphates reports.
You will also be a vital member of the Argus editorial team. You should demonstrate shared values such as teamwork, sharing knowledge and working collaboratively with other editors and reporters.
- Monitor and assess markets to produce weekly and daily price assessments, market commentaries, news and reports
- Daily contact with producers, traders buyers and other key market sources to build relationships, gather market intelligence
- Develop two-way relationships with contacts and share market intelligence
- Become a recognised industry expert and comfortable being the ‘face’ of Argus phosphate coverage
- Plan cover during absence/holiday
- Write copy to relevant daily news stories and weekly publications and the online news service
- Attend meetings, conferences and industry events to build contacts, report on news and represent Argus Media externally
- Speaking at key Argus events and other conferences
- Drive report development, ensuring it accurately reflects changing market dynamics, introducing new price points and market coverage
- Ensure the methodology remains relevant
Skills and experience:
- A graduate with a strong degree
- Proven ability to develop, source and write industry-relevant news to deadline is preferred
- Knowledge of the fertiliser/agricultural sectors is useful but not essential
- Excellent written, grammatical and numeracy skills (these will be tested as part of the interview process), and ability to write engaging content
- Excellent communication skills with ability to network and build contacts with industry executives
- Prior experience working in the financial or energy journalism sector is useful but not essential
- Strong coordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team
- Ideally, some management skills to guide and develop the market reporter
- Additional languages are useful but not essential
- Demonstrable interest in global business and politics
- Self-motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
- Excellent communication skills and ability to develop and maintain industry contacts
- After suitable training, the ability and confidence to debate with the market and have a ‘voice’ and opinion on where the market is and where it is going
What is in it for you?
Our rapidly growing, award-winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days holiday with an annual increase of up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Workplace nursery scheme
- Extensive internal and external training
For more details about the company and to apply please make sure you upload your CV via our website: www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
By submitting your job application, you automatically acknowledge and consent to the collection, use and/or disclosure of your personal data to the Company. Argus is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position