As Plastics News Europe’s top editorial staffer, the Editor is the brand’s chief content officer, responsible for setting the highest standards for print and digital products, and for driving new content initiatives. The Editor also is the top public representative of Plastics News Europe’s newsroom with readers and the global plastics industry.
Plastics News Europe is available in print and digital formats. The English-language magazine serves the pan-European plastics industry, covering all sectors for more than 40 years. Online, Plastics News Europe publishes daily news on www.plasticsnewseurope.com.
The Editor is responsible for leading a team of reporters and contributors and managing all aspects of the editorial function. Specific responsibilities include:
Guide the editorial direction of the magazine, e-newsletters and website.
Provide hands-on leadership to the editorial team. Act as mentor and developer of talent; foster creative and professional growth.
Identify and develop new initiatives including digital products, events and data products.
Serve as the face and voice of Plastics News Europe at live and virtual events.
Understanding of and enthusiasm for social media.
Participate in the development of a long-term brand strategy.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• 5+ years of progressive journalism experience.
• Business reporting or editing experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Speed and efficiency in breaking news settings. Ability to meet all daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
• Ability to travel an average of 6-10 times per year, most frequently in the UK and Europe.
• Ability to work effectively from a home office, preferably in the London metro area.
• Experience collaborating with editors, reporters and graphic designers.
• Outstanding communication skills. Capable public speaker.
• Excellent news judgment.
• Ability to collaborate with Plastics News and Plastics News China staff on both day-to-day coverage and major global plastics stories.
• Ability to contribute to show dailies, on a team with Plastics News staff.
• Strong grammatical skills, with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit.
• Great interpersonal skills to interact with heavy hitters in the plastics industry.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and workflow of others.
• Maintain high journalistic and ethical standards and ensure accuracy and fairness.
• Experience managing reporters and/or freelancers.
• Plastics/manufacturing or trade press reporting and editing.
• Daily newspaper or wire service experience.
• Experience with photography, videography, multimedia editing and/or podcasting.
• Experience editing daily newsletters.
• Proficiency in social media.
• Experience creating budgets and managing expenses.
• Databases, spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations
Founded in 1974, Plastics News Europe serves the plastics processing sector throughout Europe, including the growing industry in Central and Eastern Europe. With editorial staff in Germany and in England, Plastics News Europe is the premier source for European plastics industry information. It also organizes a series of leading international conferences. Plastics News Europe, published by Crain Communications Ltd. offers a competitive salary and benefits and a friendly work environment. The 101-year-old parent company is family owned and based in Detroit, Michigan.
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation. Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else. As a privately held company, we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work. With an Audience First focus and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing leader.
1155 Gratiot Ave
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.