The UK’s independent non-partisan factchecking charity is recruiting an Editor to lead our award-winning and growing factchecking team. Your work will reach millions online and even more through our media partners and appearances.
It’s a unique opportunity to do important accountability journalism where quality and impact can take priority over deadlines and clicks. The Editor is a role we’ve wanted for some time, and our growth now allows us to create it.
You’ll be responsible for what we cover, how well we cover it and, with colleagues, for getting it out to best effect online and through the media.
That means running a team of five staff factcheckers, along with secondees from organisations like the UK Statistics Authority and the House of Commons Library.
Above all you will make sure that our analysis meets the highest standards of accuracy—factcheckers have to be right. You need to be precise but not pedantic, and sure-footed when navigating competing research, data, or arguments. Although there is much more to life than data, you must have strong numeracy and confidence in handling statistics and you’ll need good judgement on sensitive topics.
Full Fact’s work has impact. We have obtained corrections from a Prime Minister and other senior politicians, newspapers, and broadcasters. We have seen government departments and national media outlets change how they work in response to our factchecking. We’ve worked with the BBC, ITV, and Sky; Facebook and Google; the ONS and leading universities. All our impact starts from high-quality factchecking on topics that matter.
As a member of Full Fact’s management team you will also have an important role in the general direction of the charity as we continue to grow.
If you are interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills, please do apply. We are open both to supporting learning on the job and to rearranging tasks within the team to suit the skillsets of the best applicant.
What we offer
- Starting salary of £50,000-70,000 (plus pension) depending on experience.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays. We also close the office for a period between Christmas and New Year.
- Comfortable and attractive office by St James Park with very good transport links.
- Salary sacrifice schemes for education and training and for childcare.
Please email the Director, Will Moy, on firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence with a CV and a covering letter. If you are considering applying and would like to have a conversation first, please contact our Operations Manager Charlotte Ross on email@example.com.
Applications close 10 am Mon 22 Jan.
You are responsible for what we cover, how well we cover it and, with colleagues, for getting it out to best effect online and through the media—making sure we meet the highest standards of accuracy and fairness at all times.
You run the editorial team and are responsible for the quality and effectiveness of its work, for assigning work within the team, and for the wellbeing, management, and development of its members.
As a member of Full Fact’s management team, you have a responsibility for the charity as a whole.
- Demonstrably maintain the highest standards of accuracy and fairness in our monitoring and across all of our output.
- Develop and agree an editorial strategy for what Full Fact should cover in the short and long term, informed by our audiences’ interests and our long-term goals.
- As part of that strategy, agree and deliver steps to increase our audience.
- Work with colleagues to develop ways to assess and then start to improve the usefulness of our content to our audience.
- Ensure that Full Fact has timely, clear, and high-quality published content for key factual claims and questions in public debate.
- Ensure that feedback is handled properly and that the editorial team is engaged with our audiences and supporters.
- Develop and document standards, systems and best practices for our work, supported by a system of training.
What we are looking for from you
Political impartiality and sensitivity
- You are committed to the political neutrality of our work and a have good understanding of impartiality (please see the rules on our website https://fullfact.org/about/jobs/)
- Strong understanding of public debate in the UK and sensitivity to the political context we work in
- Proven understanding of at least one area of public debate, or at least one relevant discipline such as law, statistics, or economics
- Strong analytical and research skills with a keen eye for detail
- Strong numeracy and confidence in handling statistics
- Ability to recognise how much detail is too much, and to address the human question or bigger picture behind a technical point
- Enthusiasm for and proven experience of telling stories about data and other factual information in interesting, compelling and fair ways
- Interest in and eye for excellent writing, and excellence in other media
- Track record of communicating with a non-specialist audience in any format
- Understanding of digital audiences, channels, and formats
Management skills and approach
- You can run a team that’s effective and happy (even if this is your first management job)
- Commitment to recognising and developing people’s talent
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below