MacFormat is the UK’s leading Apple magazine. Aimed at the fans of Apple products, it provides: fun, interesting and practical advice on using Macs, iPhones, iPads and accessories and apps for them; reviews of new first- and third-party products; and the latest news and developments from Apple and associated companies.
Job Summary & Purpose
The Editor is the manager of a magazine. They are the key influencer of inputs and outcomes in day-to-day magazine operations, from approving commissions and contributors to final checking pages.
The Editor’s main concern is content quality, which they are responsible for. Future demands that its content is targeted at the right audience, informative, entertaining and sensitive to both the time(s) and place(s) it will be published in.
The Editor achieves this primarily through expert management of editorial contributors and on-team staff. This involves excellent communication in briefs and commissions and strict control of deadlines and expenditure.
The Editor also safeguards content quality through final checking pages before they go to press. The Editor is the last individual in the workstream to sign off the pages and is therefore responsible for their final quality.
The Editor is tasked with managing each issue using strict workflow and budget controls ensuring that every issue goes to press on time and on budget. The Editor is responsible for ensuring that all commissions are best value and given deadlines that mean the production of an issue experiences smooth development.
It is also upon the Editor to ensure all content is commissioned and created to the best possible rights agreement whereby the preferred is with fully assigned rights and the least acceptable is one-time use.
Where an Editor has staff directly reporting into them, the responsibility for the staff’s development and performance sits with the Editor. It is with the Editor to manage their staff so that productivity is optimal and the on-team and in-company culture is exemplary. The Editor is an evangelist of the company’s values and as such leads in line with the company’s purpose and direction.
As the individual with largest direct day-to-day influence on the product, the Editor’s efforts support the sales, marketing, commercial and licensing efforts, although the Editor is not ultimately responsible for the outcome in those areas.
Key role responsibilities:
- Content quality. You will have overall responsibility for the quality of the content in MacFormat magazine, offers, marketing material and associated online activity.
- Staff performance and development. You will be required to lead a team and manage individual team members.
- Contributor budget control.
- Workflow management. You will be responsible for ensuring that each issue of the magazine hits its deadline.
- Rights management. All images and content in the magazine need to be properly assigned.
- Supporting sales performance.
- Supporting commercial initiatives.
- Supporting marketing initiatives.
- Responsibility for producing regular newsletters.
- Responsibility for regular uploading of content online (to TechRadar).
- You will be responsible for producing a regular issue of MacFormat magazine including a cover, which you will develop in conjunction with your Art Editor and seniors.
- Flat planning and commissioning content for each issue of the magazine. This will involve coming up with ideas for features, tutorials and products to review in conjunction with your team.
- You will be required to represent your brand at press events.
- You will be expected to write articles for the magazine as required.
Essential skills and experience:
- Familiarity with a wide range of Apple products, particularly the Mac range and macOS software but also iOS and mobile devices, including experience of using use them.
- A good general knowledge and experience of using Apple hardware, software and services.
- Awareness of third-party products in the Apple ecosystem. Ideally, you’d have an existing PR contact list, but it is not essential.
- Experience managing a periodical magazine or a periodical magazine section.
- Experience working with designers and writers to create finished, published articles.
- Experience managing staff.
- Experience managing commissions from end to end.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Experience with rights management.
- Experience representing company / magazine brands at industry events.
- Experience meeting and working with PRs.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills.
- Experience working with advertising and marketing teams.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ideally, good troubleshooting skills with personal technology.
- A broad understanding of what‘s important in tech product specs and, ideally, benchmarking and comparing them.
How to Apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter for the role.
As part of the recruitment process please write a 300 word review or tutorial on a piece of Apple kit/software, or a news story related to Apple or the Apple ecosystem that demonstrates your knowledge of Apple products.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position