Purpose of role:
The role is the subject matter expert for Infantry Weapons and will review, validate and updating all the reference records in the subject area, create new records as required as well as removal of records for weapons no longer in use.
- Research, update and create reference records as directed and to deliver to metrics as provided by the line manager.
- Provide technical and subject matter expertise on Infantry Weapons to cover pistols, rifles, crew served weapons including; mortars, machine guns and anti-tank systems, covering the global market and industry for in service and/or in production weapons.
- Respond to internal resource inputs within 5 working days.
- Provide input to consultancy projects as directed by the line manager and support this with research as required. Input to be delivered to time-scales as required by the line manager.
- Provide webinar and briefing input as required including research, creation and delivery.
- Build relationships with manufacturers and users for research and information gathering.
- Attend defence shows, conferences and events, gather pertinent information, build relationships and contacts and as required write relevant news articles.
- Write or have input to news stories on weapons related issues as required.
- Be the Infantry Weapons SME for the AD&S weapons team and the wider Jane’s community.
- Requires in-depth knowledge and expertise of small arms and Infantry Weapons; have a developed network of relevant industry or country contacts, to ensure content is updated or created in a timely fashion and then identify opportunities and lead execution of complex research/forecast topics.
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate a good understanding of the Infantry Weapons market and industry and/or more sophisticated analytical tools via subscription content or consultancy.
- Provides timely analyst commentary and insight including to internal audiences and clients; interfaces with other experts on the region/industry to ensure consistency in IHS Markit's analysis across different markets and functional areas.
- Understands key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work.
- Requires expanded conceptual knowledge in own area of expertise while developing additional skill sets.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of department processes and procedures.
- Requires breadth and/or depth of skills in a range of processes, procedures and systems.
- May have limited supervisory responsibilities to provide guidance/mentorship to new associates.
- Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
- Serve as a developing knowledge leader for the team; informally organizes work and provides partnership to team members.
- Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team; works within guidelines, time-scales and policies.
- Defines and recommends changes and process improvements to improve efficiency within the context of the wider AD&S framework.
Complexity & problem solving:
- Gathers information to solve problems that are escalated from team members.
- Solves standard problems by analysing possible solutions using experience, judgement and precedents.
- Evaluates and communicates job-specific information and be able to build internal and external relationship to achieve their goals.
Technical capabilities (knowledge, skills, experience):
- It is likely the successful candidate will have at least eight years in depth working technical knowledge of small arms in manufacturing, research or government services.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and attention to detail, including relevant language skills as appropriate with English as the primary language but additional languages such as Russian or Chinese may be useful though not essential.
- Good knowledge of MS applications required (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and the ability to use these effectively including familiarity with interrogating relevant databases.
- Organization and problem-solving skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be flexible with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all co-workers, but primarily be able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Experience in a publishing or media related organisation would be beneficial though not essential.
- First degree and/or second degree are likely or the equivalent ability.
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to Blaine.Sinclair@ihsmarkit.com
IHS Markit is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website to apply to a position, please contact email@example.com or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only.
We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit is proud to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, colour, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment drug testing. As a federal contractor in the United States, IHS Markit is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States. For information regarding legal rights and protections in the United States, please click on the following links:
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position