Full-time, office-based (Colchester), responsible to Group Editor
Purpose: To edit, oversee and implement the development and commercial success of Craft Business magazine, website and associated product. This is a managerial position
Aceville Publications is looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic and commercial editor to join our portfolio of dynamic and successful trade magazines. Under the brief and direction of the group editor, the successful candidate will be responsible for Craft Business, one of the UK’s leading magazines for UK craft retailers. He or she will already be an experienced journalist who has already held a senior position on a title and must be able to demonstrate both a strong commercial awareness of B2B magazines and the ability to commission and write relevant, insightful, knowledgeable and entertaining copy to cement the magazine as a must-read for craft shop owners and buyers. An ability to spot opportunities and generate revenue-friendly ideas to support a motivated advertising team is important, as is the ability to dig out and report breaking industry news and emerging trends.
Equipped with a personable, professional approach and desire to be active and visible in the industry, the job also requires a candidate who is prepared to be a strong ambassador for the brand. The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate they can be confident and professional when representing the brand at shows, events and meetings.
A prior knowledge of the craft industry is desirable although not essential.
Job description duties and responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Group Editor, as well as the advertising, web and design teams, to oversee all editorial connected to the brand
- Feature writing: researching and producing appropriate, interesting and informative articles; subbing and proofing; and sourcing images to ensure features are of an exceptionally high standard
- Briefing and commissioning industry experts and freelancers
- Ensuring that subject matter is presented in a concise, accurate, technically correct and clear manner, being mindful of presentation, style and consistency
- The sourcing and management of content for newsletters for monthly web updates.
- Daily sourcing and management of content and strategies for social media channels as required.
- Proofreading and overseeing design amendments at the studio and signing off pages for print
- Planning editorial content for magazine development and leading monthly features meetings with the advertising team
- Representing the brand at commercial client meetings, as well as in cross-departmental meetings
- Generating ideas and content for supplements and campaigns throughout the year and ensuring this workload is managed alongside the magazine’s main schedules
- Ensuring spend for editorial remains within allocated budget and managing invoices for submission to accounts department
- Providing advertising department with contacts and leads to ensure all commercial opportunities are maximised and working with the advertising team to create revenue-friendly ideas
- Attending external meetings, events and trade shows with overnight stays as necessary
- Managing and overseeing the editorial elements of the awards and help ensure their continued growth and success
- To support other titles either temporarily or permanently depending on the needs of the business and requirements of the role/title
- To comply with the Company’s Health & Safety and Company Handbook policies, procedures and requirements at all times
Skills & Attributes Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to manage and delegate
- Ability to impact and influence
- Interpersonal skills, self motivation and flexibility
- Creativity and digital editing skills and knowledge and experience of social media
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent time management skills to ensure all deadlines are met
- Excellent IT skills
- Proof-reading skills
- Attention to detail
This is not an exhaustive list, and you will be expected to be flexible in your approach to carrying out your duties that may change from time to time to reflect changes in the Company’s circumstances.
To apply please forward a cv and a cover letter explaining why you think you would be suited to the role to Louisa Cassels- firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position