SBC connects people and facilitates business between companies from the sports betting, gaming and payment industries through its global events, media and advisory business.
SBC is part of the Sport Global Group of companies. Headquartered in London, the group has 70 employees across Europe, the US and Latin America. With ambitious expansion plans, SBC is a high growth and innovative company focused on customer commitment and quality.
SBC EVENTS organise industry-leading live events for a worldwide senior executive audience with a focus on sports betting and iGaming.
SBC DIGITAL organises specialised virtual events for the sports betting and gaming industry, focused on specific regions and industry segments, providing access to emerging and established local gambling markets, high-quality conference and networking sessions, and innovative supplier-based product showcases, without the need for travel.
SBC MEDIA employs 15 full-time journalists and publishes more than 100 stories daily across nine industry-leading news websites with a focus on sports, betting and gaming news: sbcnews.co.uk, sbcamericas.com, sbcnoticias.com, casinobeats.com, slotbeats.com, gamblingtv.com, lotterydaily.com, paymentexpert.com, insidersport.com, sbcdirectory.com, and the SBC Leaders Magazine.
SBC LEADERS is an invitation-only membership of the industry's most influential operators formed with a goal to bring the industry's best together in order to share ideas, collaborate on major issues, push innovation, and elevate the overall image of our industry through the promotion of its achievements.
AFFILIATE LEADERS is connecting affiliates and digital marketers across the world to share ideas, push innovation and drive change.
SBC ADVISORY PARTNERS is the consulting and intermediary service for sports, fintech, betting and gaming organisations that is best connected to market insight and information because of its highly experienced and connected team and its deep industry roots built through its global conferences and media reach.
About the opportunity
As SBC and the media business continues to grow and develop; both in deeper penetration of existing markets but in seeking new opportunities globally, a fundamental need is a strong editorial bench.
We are seeking an editor who can write, create and produce exciting and interesting content. The ideal candidates are creative problem solvers with strong journalistic judgment, detail skills and an ability to think creatively.
Our editors must be able to skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content.
A key part of this role is focused as a future growth enabler. To do this, you will be involved in recruiting and developing talent.
This will need all team members to fully understand their role so they see how their role fits into the success of the team and company. You will be expected to detail expectations, discuss career goals and outline what needs to be achieved to accomplish those goals.
As part of this, the editor will offer development and challenges to build upon their experience and shape their competencies for a future role.
You will have the final say about which stories are published and how those stories are covered; the goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content to attract our targeted audience and build customer loyalty.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Overseeing a portfolio of two to three B2B news websites (brands) and one to three journalists (direct reports)
- Developing an editorial voice for the websites, and building a reputation for quality news coverage so the site is seen as the leading news source for the region(s) they serve
- Shape content agenda using news judgment and according to house style
- Review performance using Google Analytics and internal dashboards
- Monitor KPIs and site metrics, actively drive growth of the relevant target audience
- Shape and develop multimedia assets for site content
- Contributing to strategy to grow the size and qualify of the audience for their brands
- Lead by example in using and updating content management system
- Manage people and their performance
- Proof and verify copy and ensure it is optimised for SEO
- Ensure Hubspot is updated and accurate so can be used effectively for a data management tool for key media contacts
- Make sound judgment in mitigating risk and legal exposure
- Mentor writers to help advance their skills in fact-finding, writing and credibility
- Verify facts cited in material for publication
- Attend a range of events, such as press launches, exhibitions and conferences - some international travel required
- Build relationships with industry stakeholders across the subject, and representing SBC in a positive light consistent with our overall brands
- Partner with SBC Events conference team in developing conference agenda and identifying speakers for relevant coverage areas
- Be a visible and active company representative at industry events, including speaking engagements
- Act commercially to increase revenue and / or efficiency
- Identify opportunities to improve client service / offerings
- Collaborate across regions / functions
You must have:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or English / or postgraduate journalism qualification / or proven working experience as an editor
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Experience with content management systems
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Excellent written skills in English
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Prioritising and multitasking
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to give constructive feedback
- Conceptual creative abilities
- A good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story
It would be nice if you had:
- Business interest in sports betting and gambling industries a big advantage
- Work within the fast paced and exciting sports betting and gaming industry
- A comprehensive benefits package including group pension plan and private medical insurance
- Be part of a high growth and exciting news, media and event company
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position