Dating back to 1865, The Sportsman is a heritage brand on a digital journey, publishing original sports content across multiple platforms for today's sports fans.
Re-launched in 2017, thesportsman.com has a passion for funny, relatable and informed content, covering the action, the lifestyle and the betting aspects of sport, engaging over 100m sports fans every month across web and social channels.
Part of Moneta Communications, which is owned by the Betfred Group, The Sportsman has ambitious growth plans and significant investment to help us achieve our goals.
To further help us realise our ambitions, we are now searching for a creative Editorial Director, who will be an integral member of the senior team at our Manchester city centre offices.
To be the gatekeeper of The Sportsman's content proposition, tone and driving force for the editorial voice, whilst shaping and leading the output of the editorial and social teams.
Through a fundamental and passionate understanding of audience identification, engagement and growth, the successful candidate will play a lead role in brand direction, content origination and platform growth & diversification.
This person will lead The Sportsman's creative direction whilst also being mindful of the commercial opportunity (and reality).
The role requires a candidate who is a leader, is consistently proactive, committed and entrepreneurial, but is also adept at working within a senior team environment.
Reports to: Chief operating officer
Responsible for: Content team
Budget responsibilities: Content budget
Working Relationships: Ability to work with all areas of the UK business effectively; being able to influence and communicate cross-functionally will be essential in achieving group objectives.
- Develop and lead The Sportsman's key point of difference in the market
- Identify and grow an engaged, commercially viable audience
- Strong editorial judgement and a nose for stories that gain traction
- Proven knowledge of digital publishing and how to make a story successful online, both via Social and SEO
- Solid grasp of creating a clear editorial tone of voice for a social brand
- Forward thinking and dynamic, capable of making big changes and leading an existing team into a new era
- Strong leadership skills and ability to work with and through staff at various levels
- Commercially minded with an understanding of how editorial and commercial operations overlap
- Passion for sport and experience in / knowledge of sports betting is preferred
- Applicants for this role should be prepared to present broad but actionable ideas for how they would improve the Sportsman site and social approach.
- A flexible attitude to working that reflects the nature of the sports industry
- Shaping the daily / weekly / seasonal process of content creation: running meetings, calendars, processes and brainstorms, overseeing content creation and data
- Working with head of video and video team to seamlessly integrate video into editorial: currently two separate teams which will combine under this role]
- Consulting with sales teams and management on branded content solutions and campaigns where required: supporting sales efforts with content creation and ideation
- Taking responsibility for team management and personnel development
- Managing external Talent where appropriate
- Proven creative thinker across all areas
- Brand ambassador - internally & externally including conferences, industry events etc.
- Lead The Sportsman's Content Strategy
- Drive culture
- Achieve agreed monthly and annual audience targets
- Identify and grow audience platforms
- Ensure The Sportsman becomes a destination brand
- Identify and implement audience engagement tools
- Identify and work with relevant talent and partners where appropriate
- Identify cross-media commercial opportunities to support revenue targets e.g. Owned & Operated, Social, Events, Partnerships etc.
- Feedback market knowledge to inform product, content, audience and platform development
- Experience running a team of sports journalists and freelance talent, and directing their output
- Deep understanding of audience behaviour
- A proven track record in growing a digital audience and creating interesting, engaging and shareable content for a digital publisher
- Experience in working with or managing a video team and directing their output
- Proven experience in using data and audience insights to define content and shape editorial strategy
- Strong nuts-and-bolts knowledge of how content works on major publishing platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snap, Google News and SEO
Attributes & Competencies for success
- Ability to work under pressure
- Displays leadership and maturity
- Understanding of strong teamwork dynamic / ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Self starting but recognition of when to ask for help
- Ability to be creative and adaptable in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment
- Good communicator – externally and internally, upwards and downwards
- Attention to detail across all business aspects
- A desire to make a significant difference the role, the company and the wider industry
- Drive for results
- Audience focused
- Integrity and trust
- Motivating those around you
- Problem Solving
- Time management
- Creative Thinking
Competitive salary dependent on experience, along with an attractive company bonus scheme.
The Sportsman is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome people from all backgrounds and recognise that in order to be successful, we need to create an inclusive environment where everyone can realise their potential and succeed. This means that all employees, and applicants considered for employment, will be treated without regard to Age, Disability, Gender reassignment, Marriage & Civil Partnership, Race, Religion & belief, Sex or Sexual Orientation. We treat all individuals fairly throughout all stages of our recruitment process. Any decisions on recruitment and selection are based solely on job-related criteria and the needs of the Company.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position