About VICE Media Group
VICE Media Group is the world's largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.
VICE Media Groups portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE x team
VICE News is the award-winning digital home for immersive, original reporting from a new generation of global correspondents. With bureaus around the world and a bold presence across online platforms, our digital news offering continues to redefine current affairs coverage for youth audiences worldwide. Our digital teams of reporters, editors, producers, and hosts work collaboratively with TV and documentary groups to reach millions of readers and viewers each month.
Role x you
As our executive editor for digital news EMEA, you will be responsible for overseeing the digital editorial newsroom across EMEA. Based in London, this is a key leadership position, working with editorial leadership across regions (North America, APAC and LATAM) to lead our ambitious expansion of our digital news offering worldwide.
Overseeing a large team, including editors and reporters, whose coverage spans breaking news stories and enterprise reporting to blockbuster investigations, you will be a senior leader with unimpeachable judgement and robust management skills.
- Work closely with editorial leadership across VICE News to develop an overarching digital content strategy, and with the executive managing editor on content workflow and process
- Manage a team of editors and reporters, and use a combination of data and sensibility to help guide each of them as they develop and execute on overall content strategy and coverage plans
- Edit and/or top edit a range of stories across beats; act as a backstop on quality for everything from a 3,000-word feature to a quick follow-up story
- Work side-by-side with digital video producers to ensure collaboration/cross-functional initiatives where appropriate
- Collaborate on the execution of news content strategies across emerging platforms, including but not limited to Snap, TikTok, and Instagram
- Partner with the legal, communications, and corporate strategy teams, as appropriate
- Oversee the strategic management of the commissioning budget, ensuring the strongest and most diverse range of freelance contributions from across the region
- You will have senior journalism experience as a writer or story editor, ideally in a busy hard news organisation
- Significant editing experience within a digital setting
- You will have strong management experience supervising writers, editors and social editors
- A proven track record in news judgement and editing skills, executing at the highest levels
- Implementing the highest journalistic and legal standards and a track record of enforcement
You will have these
- Robust management skills, an eye for editorial talent, and a track record of developing emerging talent
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments and global offices
- A passion and understanding of VICE, our tone of voice and our unique way of storytelling
We wouldd also love if you had these:
- Experience overseeing editorial teams on a regional or even global scale
- A background collaborating with digital video or television production teams
- A network of freelance writers and correspondents to tap for written editorial coverage across the EMEA region
Working at VICE
VICE prioritises the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures and see it as essential to our staff, culture and business. To learn more read the VICE GUIDE TO VICE.
VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity are major benefits to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorisation to work in the UK. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position