This position involves the provision of well-researched and reported opinion pieces that are timely and relevant to our Client’s focus.
Follow global issues affecting and impacting on the MENA region, and editing opinion pieces to make it relevant to our Client’s overall coverage. To identify coverage priorities so as to deliver distinctive journalism across the brief. Provide angles and insights on timely events and issues, and prepare columns which will inform and arouse reader interest. This role may require a period of temporary cover for other newsroom staff when needed.
Key task and responsibilities
- Commissioning columns which will put our Client ahead of the news curve and get behind the headlines. This does not necessarily mean staying in one's own comfort zone, but being able to spot the journalist or commentator that can give our Client extra insight and depth. An ability to appreciate good writing and reporting, to pursue stories, delegating and prioritising resources effectively.
- News Sense: Developing an eye for the news but also for those stories which say more about a society or a conflict than hard news can.
- Editing: The ability to know when to go in hard and rewrite an article and when to let the copy flow with minor corrections and the ability to improve a piece of observational writing or reporting or analysis. Re-writing opinion pieces when necessary to conform to acceptable standards.
- Maintain and enforce deadlines.
- Maintain a regularly updated list of story ideas for future use.
- Write articles for our Client as and when requested or the opportunity arises.
- Secure exclusive and distinctive opinion pieces.
- To work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to ensure the right stories are covered and planned for.
- Present editorial columns plans during daily meetings.
- To develop and maintain contacts across the brief.
- To identify and develop third party contributors such as stringers and freelancers where appropriate.
- Undertake work in the field alongside Reporters where necessary.
- Make informed legal and health and safety judgements.
- Provide daily feedback about the most important stories and events taking place in the MENA region based on Arabic sources.
- Plan, manage and undertake special projects such as social media and live blog output as requested.
Key attributes and qualifications
- Degree holder with strong decision-making and leadership skills
- Journalism qualifications with excellent understanding of relevant home and Middle East news agendas
- A strong team player with excellent people management skills and supervisory experience
- Prioritise tasks and story coverage
- The ability to manage a wide range of tasks under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent journalistic judgement
- Experience of news editing confidently in the field
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent knowledge of news gathering infrastructure and internet-based technology
- Awareness of social media platforms etc., and Health and Safety requirements where relevant
- Awareness and understanding of the financial implications of all decision making
- An understanding of personal responsibility for cross-border co-operation
- Ability in and experience of planning, both daily and further ahead
- Ability to speak Arabic
- Have in-depth knowledge of Turkey and the Levant
This Job Description identifies the main requirements of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which may change over time.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position