Newsquest is looking for a new head of news at one of its top weeklies, The Salisbury Journal.
The Journal serves those living in South Wiltshire, North Dorset and parts of the New Forest. It attracts a huge audience to its website combined with a loyal readership of this heritage title - the third oldest regional weekly in circulation.
It is part of the Newsquest stable of news brands that reach millions of people right across the UK, and you will be leading a team of multimedia reporters who will help grow our digital media audience as well as maintain the print title.
The successful candidate will be an excellent leader, great organiser and passionate about storytelling. You will be delivering the sort of fast, agile, dynamic coverage that our readers expect and deserve in 2021.
We want to tell the stories our communities care about - everything from what is happening in the corridors of power to the latest on crime on our streets and in the courts, as well as the best new shops, restaurants and bars (and the ones to avoid!). We also believe in solutions journalism, so we like to go in search of the answers as well as presenting the problems.
- Setting the news agenda for a team of four reporters.
- Producing a daily output of high-quality, accurate news stories on the Journal website, with promotion through social media.
- Overseeing the output of the two-edition print title to deadline.
- Being first to report accurate breaking news from your region to keep readers bang up to date.
- Thinking creatively to come up with new story ideas and ways to deliver them to our audience.
- Building our digital audience and social media following to bring our content to even more people in the community.
- Spotting national/regional content that could resonate in your patch and making it relevant and interesting to our readers.
- Keeping on top of what is happening at court and reporting the best stories, as well as weekly listings/results.
- Building contacts in the community and getting out and about on your patch to see what’s really going on.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of leading a team.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability lead, write and think quickly under pressure.
- A brilliant news sense.
- Great people skills and the ability to get on with a wide range of people in the community.
- A high level of organisation and the ability to manage yours and the team’s diary.
- NCTJ qualification (including 100wpm shorthand).
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law.
- A zippy, fresh writing style
If this sounds like the job for you, please email your CV to email@example.com by Friday 30 April 2021. Include links to your past work and 150 words on why you think you are right for the role.
The Salisbury Journal
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position