BASC is the largest shooting organisation in the UK, serving a growing membership of around 155,000 and a wide variety of stakeholder and public interests. It acts as a representative body for sporting shooting - fostering opportunity, safety, high standards and wildlife conservation.
BASC has an excellent track record of telling our story in the sporting and trade press. We are looking for a Head of Press Relations who can help continue that good work while also delivering our key messages into the non-shooting, mainstream media.
Creative, decisive, energetic and self-motivated, you will have the professional and strategic skills to lead a busy press office that sits at the heart of a rapidly-evolving communications team and is shifting its focus towards digital media. You will be good at spotting the news in BASC’s day-to-day business while also firefighting the unexpected.
You will help execute the external affairs strategy, identify opportunities to promote shooting, assist on campaigns and make sure the voice of shooting is heard within the public policy debate.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- At least four years’ experience within a professional, business or government media environment.
- A track record in seeking out stories and proactively securing media coverage.
- Experience of building effective media relationships.
- Knowledge of traditional media, digital media and a strong ‘news sense’.
- Good communication, diplomacy and negotiating skills, especially when working with the press.
- Awareness of key issues facing shooting sports and the ability to influence the influencers.
Working within the communications team and reporting to the deputy director of communications & public affairs, the post holder will be based either at BASC’s Marford Mill headquarters or within commuting distance of London.
Further information and an application form may be downloaded from our website www.basc.org.uk alternatively, please contact the HR department, BASC, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham LL12 0HL. Telephone: 01244 573002.
E-mail: email@example.com Please quote reference SPO/10/2018.
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is 28 February 2019.
TO APPLY, OUR APPLICATION FORM MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED TO firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position