We have an opportunity for a Homepage Editor to join our ESPN team. This is a freelance role based in the EMEA Disney head office in Hammersmith, London, where you will be working in a vibrant, dynamic and engaging environment.
The Worldwide Leader in Sports, ESPN is the leading global sports entertainment company and has been part of The Walt Disney Company since 1995.
The primary role of a Homepage Editor is to curate the ESPN homepage & sport indexes – in the UK and around the world - making sure the best available content is displayed in the most impactful way.
Doing this effectively will result in maximising the consumption of editorial and video on the homepage and the ESPN UK app through a mix of news, features, live and social.
As part of a Global Programming Team, using real-time data and editorial judgement to make informed decisions on the positioning and sell of content, making sure to highlight premium ESPN content accordingly. Teamwork is key to what we do and being a strong team player both inside and outside the workplace is vital to encouraging a positive office culture.
A sound knowledge of global sport is important in this role, but even more crucial will be understanding what content appeals to our audience in the UK and our Editions globally.
The successful candidate will have a strong editorial background and be able to demonstrate their talent in editing a sport website, coupled with staying abreast of the major talking points in sport and generating a constant stream of content ideas. Responsibilities of the role will also include writing and building articles.
- To increase consumption of editorial and video content on ESPN web & app
- To enhance the quality, presentation and amplification of ESPN homepages and indexes
- To recognise and best sell news and content that will stand out in a competitive marketplace
- To develop and maintain strong internal relationships to be able to work in tandem with ESPN programming teams in Australia, India and US as part of the Global Programming Team
- Experience of operating web production processes and workflows
- A knowledge of online publishing and editing tools, social media networks, analytical tools and traffic measurement programmes (Chartbeat, Omniture)
- Excellent editing skills – in particular headline writing and image selection/presentation
- Strong copy writing and subbing skills
- A knowledge of ESPN’s digital properties
- A good understanding of current industry trends
- Spanish, French, German or Italian language skills a definite advantage
We operate shift patterns, so you must be comfortable working some weekends, late nights and flexible hours.
How to Apply
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position