Do you have a passion for the environment, technology and transport? A rare opportunity has opened up to join the editorial team of the Railway Gazette Group at DVV Media International.
Railway Gazette is a digital-first business title covering the rail and mass transit sectors in more than 140 countries, providing insight and business intelligence to rail and metro professionals around the globe.
Do you have the drive, ambition and hunger to make a real difference in a key editorial role with one of DVV Media International’s flagship brands?
Overview of role
We are looking for an industry editor who can work with our team of editors, journalists and contributors to deliver exclusive, authoritative and in-depth content in line with our digitally-led audience development plan. In addition, you will be expected to travel internationally and to host live and multimedia events.
The role would suit a journalist with a background in B2B media, but we would welcome applications from a wider range of backgrounds, including those with a specialist knowledge of infrastructure, transport and engineering.
A good understanding of the rail industry would be desirable, and foreign language skills beneficial. Resilience, willingness to learn and a sense of what is newsworthy are essential.
Title: Industry editor
Salary: c£40,000 per annum
Location: Sutton, Greater London
Type of Employment: Full-time
The industry editor will report to the managing editor.
About the role
We are looking for someone keen to write and edit news and feature articles for a business audience and who is comfortable with technical topics.
The industry editor will also need the ability to represent our brand within the rail sector, and build a strong network of senior contacts. Expect to make site visits, attend trade shows and participate in conferences around the world.
Day-to-day, you will be:
- Writing and editing breaking news stories
- Editing and proofreading news and feature content to ensure quality standards are met
- Commissioning and contributing ideas for features
- Attending rail and transport events both in the UK and internationally
- Chairing/presenting panel discussions, podcasts, site videos and related content
- Working with our commercial team on sponsored content and related activity
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the editorial team
- Maintaining a keen eye on the competition to ensure Railway Gazette is always at least one step ahead
- You will have the right to live and work in the UK and have:
- A learning mindset - always looking to develop their experience and skills, as well as those of their fellow team members
- Personal values in line with the company's culture: teamwork, collaboration, inclusion, integrity, respect, fairness and consistency
- Market knowledge - or the ability to acquire it quickly
- The ability to build a rapport with people
- A desire to progress, with a view to a potential future editorial management role
- A willingness to represent our brand in a public arena
- A desire to work on video and audio content
- The self-motivation required to work on a small team
- A positive outlook and strong work ethic
- Hybrid/flexible working
- 28 days' annual leave + 8 bank holidays
- Generous benefits including enhanced sick pay, maternity and paternity leave
- Wellbeing - Employee Assistance Programme, Cycle to Work scheme, mental health first aiders, family friendly policies, eye test vouchers
- Pension and life insurance
- Season ticket loan
DVV Media is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all, regardless of race, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age as we seek to recruit the very best. If you require any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
DVV Media International is the UK-based subsidiary of DVV Media GmbH, specialising in media and business services across a variety of B2B markets focused on the transport and logistics sectors. Its brands include Railway Gazette, Commercial Motor, Personnel Today, Employee Benefits, Flight Global and Heavy Lift.
No agencies please.
If you are interested in applying for this position, we welcome direct applications via our careers page, but if you have any questions beforehand please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we will not accept unsolicited CVs sent to the business, nor will we accept any associated terms of business.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position