The role: Industry editor, EMEA financials news
Grade: 10 (internal use only)
The location: London, UK
The team: The EMEA Financials news team includes London-based reporters and editors, as well as journalists in mainland Europe, India, Pakistan and the Philippines. You will also interact with other members of S&P Global Market Intelligence's wider global news team. You will be surrounded by experienced journalists and analysts committed to accuracy, fairness, timeliness and relevance. It is a fast-paced newsroom environment that is congenial and professional.
The impact: S&P Global Market Intelligence seeks an editor with a passion for financial news and journalism. You will generate news content (primarily editing but some writing) on the Europe, Middle East and Africa banking and financial services industries. Our real-time, subscription-based news service reaches an influential readership that includes investment bankers, buy- and sell-side teams, C-suite professionals and regulators. Our massive database of market, regulatory and corporate data offers ample opportunities to enhance and drive our news content.
We comb through regulatory filings, attend top industry events and monitor market trends to bring readers the information they need to know. Our comprehensive and timely news gathering operation, combined with our enterprise journalism, creates a unique news source essential to any sector-focused professional.
In this role, you will help shape our daily content by developing fresh story ideas and delivering sharp, concise content using in-house data sources, while curating and prioritizing news coverage. You will edit news articles covering a range of topics, including M&A, capital markets activity and regulation, with a sharp focus on accuracy, and to tight deadlines. The ideal candidate will have management experience and industry knowledge, and will love to brainstorm story ideas and thrive on collaboration.
What is in it for you:
- Explore a highly rewarding career path with room for professional growth, recognition and rewards
- Utilise our extensive database of market, regulatory and corporate data to enrich your ability to deliver high-quality news
- Brainstorm with colleagues who share deep knowledge and passion about the sectors they cover
- Enjoy a competitive benefits package, including annual, performance-driven bonuses
- Help reporters and data journalists craft and execute story pitches
- Help with news planning by proactively finding/developing story ideas
- Edit a mix of breaking news, longer-form stories and data-driven analyses
- Collaborate with data journalists to find ways to incorporate data into stories, driving our news beyond the headlines
- Collaborate with production team to craft creative infographics and visuals
- Work with central editing desk to peer review stories and improve copy
- Coach and mentor team members, including potential direct management responsibilities
- Help lead the team at times when others are absent
What we are looking for:
Basic qualifications and experience:
- Strong editing skills and a strong command of journalistic practices (AP style, libel issues, etc.)
- Experience editing in a professional capacity
- An affinity for analyzing numbers, using in-house data intelligence, financial reports and other industry information
- Effective organisation and communication skills: As part of a busy team, you will need to be able to balance multiple tasks and deliver feedback effectively to reporters across the globe
- Strong spoken and written English skills
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- Business journalism experience
- Experience covering the EMEA financial sector a big advantage
- Experience working with remote teams
- Fluency in another European language would be an advantage
* Candidates will need to pass an in-house editing test prior to interviews with the hiring team.
S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important - some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy ("the Policy") that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some divisions, pursuant to the Policy's requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
Equal opportunity employer:
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position