Trainee Journalist, Stevenage
The Comet Series is looking for a talented and ambitious trainee journalist to join our lively newsroom in Stevenage.
We want someone who combines sound news judgement and multimedia awareness to build on our reputation for insightful and informative community journalism. The successful candidate will be expected to play a role in shaping our news coverage across multiple platforms.
We are particularly keen on recruiting someone who has a comprehensive understanding of how social media can play a crucial role in news gathering, promoting a brand’s position in its marketplace and engaging readers, but also understands the benefits of video as a way of telling stories.
It is essential that the candidate has completed their NCTJ preliminary qualifications, including 100wpm shorthand, and is now hungry to make a name for themselves and push on to achieve full senior status.
You will be bursting with ideas for our digital and print platforms, and also have excellent news judgement. Good organisational and communication skills are vital, as is the ability to work under pressure.
We are looking for a self-starter with drive and enthusiasm, who is keen to begin the next step of their career reporting on life in the lively towns of Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock.
You be working a shift rota that includes weekends some early and late shifts. It is essential that you drive and have access to a vehicle.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- NCTJ preliminary qualifications
- Ability to produce sparkling copy for our newspapers and websites
- Strong digital audience awareness for content
- Able to produce video and picture content
- Ability to demonstrate a decent standard of spelling, particular for writing captions
- Excellent news judgement
- Ideas for print and digital platforms
- Full valid driving licence
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary up to £17,160
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fund-raising
- Give as You Earn – tax-free charity giving scheme
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance reviews
- Plus, the opportunity to work on highly respected papers and the chance to live in one of the most beautiful regions in the country!
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that if you have not been invited in for an interview within two weeks of your application, then you can assume on this occasion that you have been unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to change the closing date at any time during the recruitment process, so please apply asap as we will be dealing with applications as soon as they arrive.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position