Signal has built a world-class artificial intelligence platform that turns the problem of information overload on its head! It ingests millions of articles and posts a day from millions of sources, from news media to financial regulation. Using machine learning techniques, it has become highly effective at stripping out the information within this content and aggregating it in a single platform. Users can monitor key people, places, events, companies and topics in real-time as well as track changes and measure impact over time, across more content than anyone could ever hope to read! How awesome is that!
It gets faster and more accurate the more data it consumes. With more data points to work with it can show past, emerging and future trends in real-time. It picks up on nuances and combines them to highlight the next big risk, opportunity or crisis that might affect organisations. It makes the unknown, known.
Signallers are a friendly, informal but driven bunch of people. We are passionate about our brand, and all have a stake in its success. Together we have created our culture and our products. We have an inclusive environment welcoming skills and experience from diverse backgrounds. We are proud of our achievements and strive to provide organisations with information to make better decisions more quickly.
Signal is a venture-backed company that has raised over $27m in funding from investors including GMG Ventures, Frontline, Hearst Ventures, Reed Elsevier Ventures and LocalGlobe.
About the role - What’s your purpose?
Signal is looking for a Junior Data Journalist to help our Marketing team produce interactive, visual, data-driven content. We have access to a vast data set which allows our platform to discover fascinating narratives, and the Junior Data Journalist will come on board to help us share them.
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, this role will support Signal Media by helping us to garner true insight from the breadth of content we have access to and to translate that data into engaging content for our target audiences.
Role and Responsibilities - What will you be doing?
- Work with the Data Science team to take large data sets and turn the insights from them into compelling narratives.
- Plan, write and collaborate on the brand stories we tell, in multiple formats.
- Deliver content for our blog, social channels and newsletter.
- Support the Marketing team on brand-building opportunities and challenges.
Required knowledge, skills and experience - Who are we looking for?
- Experience in a journalism role and a desire to grow editorial skills.
- An understanding of data concepts and tactics for translating data into engaging content.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Understanding of media, PR and communications.
- Experience creating data visualisations with tools like Infogram, Tableau etc.
- BA degree.
Benefits - What will you get in return?
We’re a growing company, which makes it all the more an exciting time to join us - we recently celebrated turning five years old (how time flies!). We offer you the following:
- Competitive salary - you’ll be fairly rewarded for your hard work and contribution;
- Unlimited holiday entitlement - so you never have to worry about taking off that extra week to pursue your hobby or spending precious time with your loved ones;
- Company Macbook - having the reliable, quality tools to do your job is essential, and we’ll provide you with them;
- Flexible working - whether you have parental responsibilities, or need some headspace, we’ll support you in making your working life more manageable;
- Opportunities to be challenged, grow, and develop in your role - progress is paramount, so you’ll receive the support and guidance you need to help you achieve your career goals;
- Snacks and fruit - we’ll keep you energised with a mix of healthy goodies and naughty treats;
- Monthly team lunch - a team who eats together, stays together!
- Join our opt-in group pension plan (after passing your probationary period) - helping you to plan for your future;
- Experience in a rapidly growing and diverse business - be part of something exciting, and be a key player in helping to shape Signal Media now and in the years to come.
How to apply?
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position
- art and design art and design feed
- broadcast journalists broadcast journalists feed
- copywriters copywriters feed
- editorial assistants / trainees editorial assistants / trainees feed
- editors and management editors and management feed
- features features feed
- freelance freelance feed
- media sales media sales feed
- news news feed
- photographers photographers feed
- picture researchers picture researchers feed
- production and sub-editors production and sub-editors feed
- proofreaders proofreaders feed
- public relations public relations feed
- section editors section editors feed
- specialist writers specialist writers feed
- new media new media feed
- internships internships feed