SportBusiness is seeking a promising graduate to join the SportBusiness 24 news team and with a particular focus on the Asian market. This position will be based at the group's central London offices.
Business Area: SportBusiness Group is a leading supplier of information regarding TV rights ownership, sponsorship opportunities and news about the business of sport.
SportBusiness 24 is our news service, delivering in-depth articles around the clock from editorial teams based in three different continents and is widely read among leading executives across the global sports industry.
The Big Picture: In identifying and writing daily news stories - chiefly on the Asian market but also on the wider international sports industry - you will help maintain SportBusiness 24's position as the best international sports news service on the market and drive Asia-Pacific readership.
Reporting will be on all aspects of the sports business sector, including media rights and sponsorship deals, event bidding and hosting, international sports governance, M&A, agency business, executive moves and betting. You will develop relationships with senior executives in sports, carrying out interviews and leveraging relationships to unearth information.
Most reporting will be conducted from the office, but there will be opportunities to travel to industry and sports events. You will report to the Global News Editor and also work closely with the Editor, Asia-Pacific.
- Write news articles: identify stories from different markets (primarily Asia) and industry sectors; research background; write up stories and submit in online publishing system
- Help curate the SportBusiness 24 Asia newsletter
- Liaise with the Asia-Pacific Editor - based in Singapore - on stories
- Identify suitable images to accompany your stories
- Establish detailed knowledge of the sports business industry and the Asian market in particular
- Interview executives in the industry
- Develop a network of reliable contacts within the industry
- Report from leading sports industry events
- Preserve the SportBusiness 24 reputation for accurate, responsible reporting, high-quality writing and care for sources
A promising graduate with appropriate writing experience and skills.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable ability to write accurately and coherently under pressure - you will need an excellent command of written and spoken English
- 2:2 degree or above
- Writing experience
- An interest in sports, and not just football
- Ability to compile copy quickly and accurately, building background information into stories
- Organisational skills and able to adhere to strict editorial deadlines
- Attention to detail and research skills
- Being able to communicate effectively and confidently with leading executives
- NCTJ or equivalent postgraduate journalism qualification
- Knowledge of sporting landscape/leagues/events outside of just the UK
- Second language
Reports to: SportBusiness global news editor
Please APPLY VIA EMAIL by sending a CV, covering letter and two relevant examples of your work to global news editor, Martin Ross: firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position