The Great Daily of the North, The Northern Echo is looking for a live business editor to help develop our round-the-clock business coverage and take the helm of our growing BUSINESSiQ magazine and website.
This is a newly created role with Newsquest's flagship daily at a period of record-breaking digital growth and we are looking for a creative, senior journalist ready to take control of a key brief as we look to cement our position as the North’s premier news brand.
The successful candidate will be a versatile senior journalist who has the storytelling abilities to bring business stories to life, along with strong social media skills and an audience-led approach to newsgathering.
We are not looking for someone to fill templates with stories about minor appointments at accountancy firms. We need a driven storyteller who can spot exclusives and is able get under the skin of business stories, build contacts at the highest levels, and tell their stories in an engaging way. As well as leading business coverage in The Northern Echo, including daily platform pages, you will also be responsible for driving our fast-growing quarterly BUSINESSiQ magazine to the next level.
The role will include:
- Driving all aspects of The Northern Echo's business content, including daily platforms, as well as regular long reads, features and investigations involving businesses and the business community;
- Sourcing, creating, producing and sharing engaging business content;
- Becoming the expert in your area of expertise, building relationships with key business leaders across the North;
- Lead and develop a live digital and social strategy for The Northern Echo's business content, including running social media channels and taking responsibility for scheduling;
- Creating top quality content for the group's quarterly BUSINESSiQ magazine.
- Innovating and seeing out new opportunities, including launching podcasts and other services to develop our content plan.
You will be equally comfortable building relationships with business titans across the region, as you are contextualising national, breaking business news for audiences across the North-East. The right candidate will be a senior, qualified reporter with experience of working in the regional press, a firm grasp of multimedia journalism, and - crucially - you will be a positive, creative journalist who constantly strives to develop new skills and who is passionate about putting their stamp on things to ensure the continued success of local and regional journalism as a force for good.
The Northern Echo is one of the best-selling regional newspapers in the UK and Newsquest's flagship title. As part of Newsquest, you will join one of the biggest publishing companies in the UK during a period of major digital transformation. Based in Darlington (when offices reopen), The Northern Echo is situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, with the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors national parks on our doorstep, as well as the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
A truly unique area, our patch is home to beautiful towns, including Dominic Cummings' favourite Barnard Castle, and exciting cities like Durham and Newcastle, as well as coastal retreats like Saltburn.
The position is being offered with a competitive salary and offers the right candidate a unique opportunity to raise their profile within the media and business communities.
If this sounds like the job for you, email your CV and a brief covering letter to group editor Karl Holbrook at firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 November 2020.
The Northern Echo
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position