Know how to get the trend line moving in the right direction? Passionate about digital storytelling and local journalism? Able to turn a slow news day into one filled with creative and brilliant stories?
It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family. Due to our sustained growth and our ambitious future growth plans, we are now looking for a proven editorial leader to help inspire our teams across the Live network daily by building on solid audience data and journalism experience to ensure we’re across the biggest stories.
As our Live Network duty editor, you will work across the biggest brands in regional journalism, keyboard to keyboard with some of the most talented senior editors, newsdesks and reporters up and down the country to ensure our brand of Live journalism continues to reach the largest and most engaged audiences possible.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this, the role may close without notice, so please don't delay your application.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Lead our daily news conference with senior editors and content desks across the Live network to update on audience performance position, key content initiatives and audience trends
- Work closely with our Head of network content, head of video, head of affiliates, SEO editors, Reach wire editors and head of data journalism on content initiatives and daily content lists
- Work regularly within a variety of our hub newsrooms under the direction of Senior editors/audience and content directors on audience growth initiatives and projects
- Manage our team of engagement producers (recirculation) to ensure we are maximising the journalism our readers are seeing when visiting our digital platforms
- Ensure that our sites and social media channels have compelling, fresh and engaging content in line with audience data and trends
- Understand audience data and analytics, and commission content responsively
- Be available to run regular training in digital publishing best practices in both our Hub newsrooms and through our online learning platforms too
- Ensuring a high level of digital publishing and production best practice standards, delivered in a way that meets audience targets across multiple platforms
- Ensure IPSO standards and Reach's publishing standards are met at all times, and every piece of content is legally sound
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the
- Editor;s Code of practice
The ideal candidate
- Excellent understanding of SEO, search, social and digital audience behaviour
- Proven digital skills including experience of using a content management system
- Imagination - can you put yourself in the shoes of our readers? Can you find an untapped audience?
- Thrive in a live news situation, with the ability to make the right decision quickly
- Passion for digital storytelling in local journalism
- Be comfortable working with many of the biggest regional news brands in the UK, Scotland and Ireland
- NCTJ or equivalent qualification or time-served experience in a senior editorial role
- Strong track record in telling stories, accurately, which engage large audience
- Proven track record for digital storytelling using video, words and pictures
- Demonstrable experience of team management and motivation
- Good knowledge of media law
We are offering a competitive salary of up to £50,000 per annum and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free well-being apps and coaching support
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position