We are looking for a live news reporter to join the team at Scotland's News Website of the Year and Daily Newspaper of the Year to source exclusive stories, deliver the latest breaking news to our audience and drive traffic to the site.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The team: We are The Scottish Sun. The Scottish Sun is Scotland's number one, award-winning newsbrand, Newspaper of the Year and News Website of the Year. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
Your role: The live news reporter will be responsible for developing and executing content across the whole of The Scottish Sun's digital and print platform.
Day to day you will:
- Produce first class news content every day across all of our platforms
- Identify stories and subjects which will drive traffic and engage audiences
- Develop and writes stories in a concise and entertaining way in line with Scottish Sun style
- Work closely with editorial colleagues across an integrated newsroom for fresh lines, particularly on large breaking stories
- Produce outstanding headlines that 'sell' our digital stories to get maximum impact on The Scottish Sun's platforms and social media
- Effectively recirculate readers within The Scottish Sun website with engaging content
- Ensure all content is legally sound and adheres to the Editors' Code of Practice and IPSO standards
What we are looking for from you:
- Experience of being part of a fast-paced digital news operation
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to produce quick, accurate copy under pressure
- Passion for all things current affairs, celebrity and lifestyle
- A self-starter with an ability to generate ideas
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment
- An eye for a story and a passion for storytelling
- A finger on the cultural pulse and knowledge of the latest digital platforms
- Be flexible working across seven days
- A sense of humour and positive energy
- Knowledge of IPSO regulations
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We cannot promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy and training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes.
We also have eight employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women's Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a 'Bikes for Work' scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5 per cent;
- 25 days' holiday and up to four volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave up to two weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position