S&P Global Platts is the leading provider of energy pricing, news, and analytics. We are seeking a Managing Editor to lead our Residual Fuels team of five price reporters, covering Europe and Africa, based in our London office in Canary Wharf.
The London residual fuels team of price reporters is responsible for publishing and developing Platts European and African fuel oil and marine fuels assessments, including industry benchmarks such as FOB Rotterdam 3.5% FO barges and CIF Mediterranean 1.0% FO cargoes.
The residual fuels market is at a critical juncture, ahead of the introduction of tighter sulfur standards in the marine fuels sector in 2020. The EMEA Residual Fuels managing editor will play an important role in determining Platts response to these changes.
As well as managing the team, and developing Platts assessments, the Managing Editor will be expected to become familiar with the assessment process for the various residual fuels markets, and to cover them as a frontline reporter on occasion.
Principal Accountabilities / Duties / Responsibilities:
- Triage daily issues as they emerge in the fuel oil team. The fuel oil team is busy with many issues emerging daily. This position is crucial to manage the issues and see that they are dealt with in the appropriate manner
- Ensure that emerging market issues which may require further investigation and potential methodology adjustment are highlighted and acted upon in an appropriate time frame. Fuel oil markets can evolve quickly and efficiently and require a senior presence to make sure issues are addressed quickly and efficiently.
- Act as the critical “second pair of eyes” function to ensure process is being followed correctly during the assessment process, approving
- Push down news coverage through the team.
- Working with the Associate Editorial Director, this position will be responsible for administering the day-to-day running of the team including tasks such as scheduling coverage and holidays.
- Facilitate a healthy flow of communication between the management team and the fuel oil team.
- Ensure adherence to the IOSCO Principles for Price Reporting Agencies, working with the Market Assessment Quality team.
Essential Skills Required:
- Degree educated with at least three years’ experience of reporting/ analytics or editorial management experience
- Working to intra-day deadlines in high pressure environments. Our processes are daily and we have frequent intraday deadlines. Efficient running of the team will only be possible if the person filling this position is a master of time management.
- Strong at identifying improvements and efficiencies and implementing processes that continually promote productivity and quality improvements.
- Strong leadership ability which utilizes influence, and promotes team collaboration and development, as well as personal accountability.
- Accuracy under time pressure. It is critical that we deliver accurate assessments to the market consistently.
- Detailed knowledge of how Platts assess and covers European oil markets. This is to ensure that Platts processes are applied consistently and accurately.
- Proven public speaking abilities. This position will be an internal and external ambassador of what we do and must be an accomplished and confidant speaker.
- Proven internal and external training capabilities. This position will be responsible for ensuring a consistent approach to methodology and training, in cooperation with the oil team management will be a big part of this.
- Proven real time news abilities. This position will be writing news and analysis on a real time basis but will also be responsible for driving news in the team.
- Knowledge of the residual fuels market and trading patterns would be an advantage.
- Experience in price reporting and assessing commodities
- Fluency in additional European languages, particularly Russian
- Higher degree education, such as a Master’s degree or PhD
- Broadcasting/Presenting skills
- Knowledge of European fuel oil trade and markets. A detailed knowledge of the market is required to be able to direct coverage.
How to Apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below