Buying a car? Selling a car? Or just in love with your car? Uniquely among UK publishers, Haymarket Automotive’s five titles cover the entire spectrum of your needs.
What Car?, PistonHeads, Autocar, Classic and Sports Car, and CAT are five brilliant brands that are world-famous for informing and entertaining car buyers, sellers and owners and which share the goal of leading in their chosen marketplaces.
Our reputation is built on quality journalism, slick marketing, product innovation and skilled salescraft, all in support of digital and print products that lead the market. No other automotive brand interacts with consumers and the car industry so comprehensively or is as well respected and trusted by its audience.
Our ambitions are matched by our funding: we’re undertaking rapid expansion driven by our innovative New Car Buyer Marketplace platform, which has created new and exciting opportunities across every part of this thriving business.
Whatever we do, we aim to be the best - and that starts with the people we recruit and the way we place them at the heart of everything we do. Successful candidates will work in an environment that gives talent room to thrive and which celebrates and rewards success.
Autocar managing editor
As Autocar’s managing editor, you will be responsible for upholding the highest standards possible of Autocar in print and online. You will be a key member of Autocar’s editorial team, and your experience will play a key role in helping develop younger staff to the reach the standards of excellence that Autocar has always been known for.
- You are ultimately responsible for all published copy and the production of the magazine. You will be required to do everything from deadline chasing and subbing to seeing copy through all stages of the production process, from raw copy to print-ready pdf.
- Everything we publish must be readable, informative and entertaining – and you must maintain the highest editorial standards.
- You will work alongside the editor everyday to ensure the smooth production of Autocar in print and online. To that end, you will be a key member of the editorial team, with an input into all key editorial decisions.
- You will be in charge of flatplanning each magazine issue and will act as the main point of liaison between editorial and the advertising, publishing, production and other departments.
- You will manage the sub-editing and publishing of content on Autocar.co.uk each day, ensuring the website retains its industry-leading position at the forefront of automotive news and car reviews
- You will be responsible for leading production of Autocar special projects, which could be anything from a supplement to an invitation to our annual awards ceremony.
- You will assist in the recruitment of key editorial staff, where relevant.
- You will carry out day-to-day management of Autocar’s chief sub-editor and any freelance subs.
- You will plan well ahead with the editor, and play a role in ensuring that all staff have a clear understanding of individual and collective short and long-term objectives and their roles in realising them.
- You must seek to contribute across all media channels whenever your time allows. To that end, you will be a key, senior journalist at Autocar, and you will play a key industry-facing role.
- You will be responsible for flagging up any potential legal issues identified in content, and ensuring they are brought to the attention of the editor.
- You will be responsible for editing the weekly readers’ letters page, and be a key link to the readers.
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position