Managing Editor/Editorial Director/Editor in Chief
Who we are?
We are a dynamic and ambitious publisher and event’s organiser delivering unique and exclusive news, analysis and events to an enviable audience of industry leaders and decision-makers from the NHS, UK government and rail industry.
Just like the Metro we give our readers free access to all of the content we produce online, in-print as well as our apps, the editorial we produce discusses the challenges faced by our readers whilst also looking at what the solutions might be.
Our events although similar in content and objective allow buyers and suppliers to meet face to face whilst also listening to leaders from their respective sectors discuss strategy and change.
This business model enables us to attract healthy volumes of advertising and event sponsorship from organisations across the globe looking to target our audience.
We have exciting growth and investment plans ahead and so we are searching for a creative Managing Editor/Editorial Director/Editor in Chief to join the business and become an integral member of the senior team reporting to the Managing Director and Business Development Director.
You will be the custodian of all of our brands content, tone and driving force for the editorial strategy, whilst shaping and leading the creative direction and output of the editorial, design, social media and marketing teams.
The successful candidate will absolutely understand the importance of audience growth and engagement whilst playing a lead role in brand direction, content origination and platform development.
You will be a committed, proactive and entrepreneurial leader, able to communicate effectively with all areas of the business and have an excellent understanding of the commercial requirements of business to business media.
- Develop and lead the brands USP’s ensuring each brand is cemented as number one in their respective markets
- Create a clear editorial tone and content strategy
- Grow an engaged and commercially viable audience
- Lead the implementation of new technology for the delivery of all digital content
- Lead the re-design of our online portfolio including websites, apps and digital editions
- Manage and lead the personnel development of an existing team comprising journalists, graphic designer and social media
- Become the brands ambassador both internally and externally
- Identify commercial opportunities across all brands to grow revenues
- Consistent monitoring and development of brands USP’s, editorial and content strategy through external research and analysis of data
- Output, accuracy and relevance of all content produced
- Content creation – running meetings with all relevant departments, brainstorming, market research, organising your own and team’s attendance at events as well as commissioning and writing content
- Identifying new trends, technology and opportunities to help meet objectives
- Work with the senior team and sales department to develop new branded content solutions
- Achieving agreed monthly and annual audience targets
- Identify and work with relevant freelancers and partners where appropriate
- Drive culture to achieve objectives
- Making big changes and leading an existing team into a new era
- Degree in journalism or NCTJ equivalent
- Excellent understanding of media law
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and eye for detail
- History of running a busy newsroom and directing output
- Leading a team and working with multiple departments
- Impeccable editorial judgement for stories that get read
- In successfully growing an audience and understanding its behaviour and engagement
- Using data and audience insights to define content, shape editorial strategy and increase revenue
- Across all major social media platforms and tools
- Working in an environment where editorial and commercial operations overlap
- Public speaking
Applicants invited to interview for this role should be prepared to present broad but actionable ideas on how they would meet the key objectives described.
Salary: Competitive dependent on experience.
Transport & Location: Manchester City Centre has great transport connectivity and our office is located right in the centre of City in walking distance from Piccadilly & Victoria Train stations, Metrolink stops and bus terminals. We have a secure basement where cyclists can leave their bikes
Offices: Luxury air-conditioned offices with break-out areas, catering facilities and showers
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position