Job title: Managing Editor
Hours of work: 09.00 – 17.30, Monday to Friday
InternetRetailing is the must-read title for Europe’s professionals in ecommerce and multichannel retail. We reflect the board-level commercial conversation as experts come together to deliver for the demanding, digital consumer. For over 12 years our newsletters, magazines, white papers, research and events have provided highly-regarded insight, analysis and stimulus to the sector. InternetRetailing has been growing significantly, with an increase in our long-form analysis in particular. Our research rankings and reports now comprise the UK Top500, EU Top500, AU 250, ASEAN 250 and the Brands Direct 250 for Europe.
With plans for further content growth we now seek our first Managing Editor, and this new role will become the editorial lead and subject-matter authority for InternetRetailing. As a writer, editor, planner and commercially-astute operator, the Managing Editor will be an agenda-setter and astute analyst in the multichannel retail, ecommerce, brands-direct and consumer industry.
Located at the heart of an established, highly-regarded professional team of editors, deputising for (and liberating!) one of our founders; responsible for our editorial content and authority; focused on delivery and working hand in glove with our Sales and Commercial teams to generate increased revenue. This is a mini-publisher role for an ambitious and self-motivated editor who would like to ‘own’ and develop this market sector.
Role and Responsibilities
- [Editorial content] Direct and manage the output of industry-leading, highly-regarded and experienced award-winning journalists to anticipate and fulfil the commercial information requirements of the leading retailers in the UK, Europe, Australia and beyond
- [Sponsored and commercial] Manage internal and external editorial resources (freelancers, staff writers, contributors), along with the internal team of production, design, research and marketing, in order to deliver our output on time, to the satisfaction of our sponsors and clients, as well as our members
- [Development] With a good understanding of B2B professional publishing and working with the wider editorial team, plan editorial content on channels, themes and topics, both online and offline, balancing the legitimate objectives of our sponsors with the overriding expectations of our senior industry readers
- [Quality] Responsible for maintaining editorial and brand standards of content and approach
- [Writing] Originate print and online short-form and long form content for the various titles under the InternetRetailing and associated brands, focusing on current activity by retailers, vendors, events, briefings and our own publishing programme, as well as re-purposing, amplifying and enhancing the long-form feature content
- Develop new formats and approaches in order to interest and satisfy our readers and increase revenues and margins
- Manage the commissioning of white papers, including managing the client side of those projects
- [Events] Chairing RetailX Research Dinners and Roundtables and other events when required
- [Events] Attend, chair, report upon and speak at industry and partner events, increasing our visibility, contribution and impact
- Deputise for the Editor in Chief for editorial, speaking, meetings (commercial and editorial)
- Communication – communicates clearly and listens effectively to ensure others are informed and updated. Written communication is concise and well-presented, using appropriate grammar, style and language
- Time management and organisational skills – effectively balances priorities to meet agreed deadlines, demonstrating flexibility to work under time pressure and adapt to changing business needs
- Analytical – makes systematic and rational judgements based on appropriate information
- Attention to detail – handles tasks with thoroughness, accuracy in reporting and excellent proof-reading skills. Recognises and resolve errors
- Motivated, self-starting and enthusiastic
- At InternetRetailing we expect our staff to embody values that sustain our business relationships and integrity of our brand. We believe in and exemplify, Passion, Excellence, Fairness, Innovation, Team work, Ownership, Loyalty and Commitment. We review our behaviours and processes continually to ensure that we meet these values for ourselves, our colleagues, our clients and our industry
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position