William Reed is a leading B2B media company, trusted by businesses since 1862. Our award-winning expertise and global reach extends across Grocery & Retail; Hospitality; Food Manufacturing, Processing & Ingredients; Drinks; Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics. With headquarters in Crawley, the Group operates through offices and subsidiaries in London, Chicago, Montpellier, Singapore, Thailand and China.
Market leading print titles include the Grocer., where this position sits. Our Exhibitions are hosted in the UK at the NEC and Olympia and in Chicago in the US. The Group runs various global events including the International Wine Challenge and the 50 Best Restaurants’ awards and has a global digital presence in the markets it specialises in.
Our international portfolio of innovative events, awards and exhibitions connect businesses and recognise excellence.
The managing editor reports into the editor and is the second in command, with responsibility for running operations on a day-to-day basis. Your role is to:
- Contribute to the strategic direction and brand positioning of The Grocer as it evolves as a multi-platform publication, with a particular focus on online and digital transformation, so that the title fulfils the needs of its readers on a daily and weekly basis across multiple channels while also being mindful of the importance of the commercial imperative, and of commercial growth opportunities
- Ensure The Grocer is run efficiently and effectively in terms of briefing, planning, workflow and production, across print and online, making best use of digital tools and software, and with a special emphasis on facilitating the move to a digital-first workflow
- Share responsibility with the editor for proofing and signing off content, upholding the high journalistic standards we strive for, while empowering the team to take responsibility for their work where appropriate
- Develop the editorial team’s multi-media skills (working in conjunction with the digital and social editor/subs/art/production), as well as identifying suitable and relevant training programmes
- Commission the Opinion/Letters/Feedback section, managing our regular columnists, and finding new ones, to ensure that The Grocer is full of interesting, topical and well-read comment and opinion.
- Deputise for the editor when he is absent whether on holiday or out of the office
- Represent the title externally as well as internally
The following personnel also report into you and it is your responsibility to manage them effectively to make sure the section/function runs smoothly and to a high standard, and develops appropriately, while quality and HR issues that arise are addressed promptly.
- Buying & Supplying editor
- Focus On editor
- Digital and social editor
- Chief sub-editor
Company Benefits Include
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Group income protection
- Health cash plan
- Discounted gym membership
How to apply
To proceed with your application please email your CV to email@example.com
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position