S&P Global Platts is seeking a motivated and energetic associate editor to report on the Atlantic thermal coal markets. Based in London, the position will work in a small team responsible for day-to-day price assessments and market intelligence gathering activities across a range of disciplines, including thermal coal and petroleum coke, and will contribute regular content including commentaries, news and analysis published in a daily newsletter.
- Core qualities include the ability and desire to pick up the phone, engage with sources and willingness to manage projects driving our team’s pricing methodologies.
- Also crucial to this role will be the ability to build on and grow the strong reputation that Platts has established in this area of the business amid challenging circumstances. In this position, the reporter will be required to work closely with regional peers in Asia and the US.
- The applicant will have excellent time management skills and experience of market reporting, publishing and ideally price discovery within a commodities setting. The selected candidate will be able to serve externally as a subject matter expert on coal pricing.
- Writing daily market comments, news, regular in-depth analytical articles, and price assessment formation processes within the Atlantic thermal coal team.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with a broad base of key industry sources in coal.
- Research and interpret market issues.
- Develop proposals around new pricing assessments or changes.
- Understand relevance of information to the customer, and facilitate the development of value-added news/information.
- Ensure copy and commentary is accurate, aligning with pricing data and assessments.
- Contribute to team source development strategy for coal.
- Regularly represent Platts at industry events and functions with a view to eventually fulfilling public speaking/expert panel engagements.
- BA degree in journalism or business preferred with approximately two years’ experience of commodities reporting/writing/analysis.
- Strong editing/proof-reading skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills that implement good listening, a clear writing style and strong verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
- Displays strong numeracy including a solid understanding of economics principles and of risk management principles.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position