Irish Medical Times, the leading medical newspaper for Irish doctors, is seeking an experienced Medial Journalist/ Sub Editor to work on our fortnightly print, weekly digital e-Newsletters, supplements, on-line editions, and other products.
This is not a position for beginners or chancers! We need an experienced, ambitious individual who can do it all, write and rewrite copy, design, proof and sub-edit — all to deadline.
Established in 1967 by MPI Media, Irish Medical Times has built an unrivalled reputation over the more than 50 years as Ireland’s leading medical newspaper with the highest net circulation figures.
Irish Medical Times has a long-established reputation for coverage of the highest quality of independent national and international medical journalism, which will be required of the Medical Journalist/Sub Editor, who must have a proven track record.
- The role involves writing news, subbing news and features from in-house journalists and outside contributors in InCopy and editing and laying out content in InDesign, to final proofed pages.
- You will also be responsible for editing and scheduling our website, managing the publication’s weekly e-Newsletters, and coordinating our presence on social media.
- Following direction and vision of the Irish Medical Times Editor.
- Responsibility for the look and feel of our publications.
- Producing high quality news and feature reports within deadline for publication.
- Producing high quality and accurate pages within deadline for publication.
- Managing online content of IMT website and other online projects.
- Layout, design and production, layout work both in print and online (including designing digital/advertising marketing products).
Skills & Competencies
- Organisational awareness with the ability to operate with confidence and credibility on a wide and competing brief.
- Evidence of success in prioritising and dealing with sensitive information and enquiries and taking appropriate action on a regular basis.
- Ability to liaise with outside clients in a professional manner.
IT, Administrative and Organisational Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Adobe InCopy, InDesign and Photoshop.
- You should have experience of using a CMS, such as Wordpress, with experience working with video a distinct advantage.
- Experience of creating email newsletters is also required.
Judgement and Analysis:
- Sound judgement with the ability to interpret, analyse, edit, fact check and disseminate complex copy.
- A background in subbing medical, scientific or technical content a distinct advantage.
- An understanding of the Irish health service also desirable.
- Awareness of libel law, and more generally the law relating to publishing and journalism
- Resourceful and purposeful, with initiative, drive and a strong desire to deliver exceptional results.
- A team player both internally and externally.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present technical information clearly to a knowledgeable audience.
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail.
- Ability to learn new concepts/terminology quickly.
- Journalism Degree or relevant qualification — preferred.
- Experience in health and medical news reporting.
- Proficiency in Incopy, Indesign and Word Press.
- Excellent social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, YouTube etc.) to source stories and drive traffic to our website and print product.
- Flexibility in a changing, fast-paced environment.
Other Special Requirements:
- Necessary education/qualifications:
- Experience of working for a busy newspaper or magazine as sub editor or production editor, and working knowledge of web-based publishing.
- Ideally have a journalistic reporting background but also have good technical skills.
- Publishing experience essential.
This is an opportunity to join and be a part of Ireland’s most respected and well-established medical information business.
Irish Medical Times is published in Dublin by MPI Media, which is part of the UK business and consumer publishing company, Metropolis International Group, which employs 500 people in offices in London, Dublin and the North West of England.
For informal enquiries please contact IMT Editor Lloyd Mudiwa on Tel: 01 8176347 (Dublin).
To apply please send your CV with covering letter to:
Lloyd Mudiwa, MPI Media, 23 Fitzwilliam Street Upper, Dublin 2, Ireland
Or email your CV and Cover Letter to Lloyd Mudiwa on email@example.com to apply for this job
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position