Membership engagement manager
Deadline: December 20, 2019
The International Press Institute (IPI), the global network of editors, journalists and media executives for press freedom, is currently looking for a membership engagement manager to lead the organization’s efforts to grow and support its global community of members.
Applications, including a cover letter and a CV, should be sent to email@example.com by December 20, 2019 at the latest.
The membership engagement manager will work closely with IPI’s global network of members to develop membership-led programmes, facilitating conversations about the challenges faced by journalists and instigating solutions based on lessons learned from within our network and others. Successful candidates will have a background as journalists, allowing for peer-to-peer engagement with our network, aimed at building a relationship of trust with existing and new members. The membership engagement manager will establish connections with and among people from diverse backgrounds, who believe that independent journalism is a cornerstone of democracy and open societies.
This role will be based in Vienna, Austria under the direct supervision of the IPI executive director, and will work closely with colleagues based at headquarters, heads of IPI national committees and IPI’s executive board members. Candidates are required to have knowledge and experience of strategic communication on issues of interest to IPI, notably media freedom, independent journalism, journalism safety and quality. The role further requires experience in project management and excellent written and spoken communication skills in English. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Develop and deliver a membership outreach and recruitment strategy, drawing on support from within the existing IPI network.
- Develop outreach programmes to offer solutions to the challenges faced by IPI members in the exercise of their role as news producers and to create awareness of the benefits of IPI’s membership.
- Through deep engagement with IPI members, assist in the design and implementation of exchanges at local, national and international level that can contribute to the improvement and sustainability of independent journalism.
- Serve as the focal point within IPI’s headquarters regarding involvement with membership outreach and communication according to areas of expertise, with an aim toward ensuring that member engagement is a central part of IPI’s campaigns and programmes.
- Manage IPI’s communication with members on various platforms, including editing and managing the production of IPI’s membership newsletter, and developing online resources for members.
- Represent IPI in front of its members and in the community, including at public events when relevant.
- Contribute to the programme and communication strategy of IPI’s annual World Congress to promote and facilitate members’ participation and engagement and lead on its implementation.
- Work closely with the Development and Programmes manager to identify opportunities for membership involvement within programmatic work.
- Monitor membership trends and produce both quantitative and qualitative analysis of the programme on a regular basis.
- Work closely with the senior management team to ensure that the membership programme remains central to the strategic direction of IPI as a whole.
- Knowledgeable: Strong knowledge of and keen interest in journalism, press freedom and free expression.
- Articulate and creative communicator: Ability to communicate effectively across different audiences, with cultural sensitivity, and to forge strong relationships with all levels of staff and stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Positive, hard-working and enthusiastic: Confident and keen to contribute to a productive team environment at a fast and demanding pace.
- Skilled problem solver: Finding ways to get things done and always looking for ways to improve.
- Reliable: Ability to adapt to constantly developing circumstances and challenges and able to prioritize effectively.
Required experience, knowledge and skills:
- Experience working in a community building role.
- Past working experience within a newsroom.
- Familiarity with advocacy-related communications (desirable).
- Experience growing and developing a programme or scheme and reaching new audiences.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills, including proven ability to communicate effectively with a wide group of stakeholders, and to produce information and data to support that communication.
- Experience with CRM management, ensuring that individuals’ information is stored in line with data protection guidelines and that all member details are kept up-to-date and error-free.
- Experience developing insights and recommendations from data, and the ability to develop these into initiatives and projects.
- Excellent English language skills. Additional language skills are welcome.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work effectively.
Location and term:
The location for this position is Vienna, Austria, at IPI’s headquarters. All nationalities are eligible to apply. A successful candidate who is not a citizen of the European Union/European Economic Area will be eligible for a work permit in Austria.
Salary will be determined based on experience and qualifications. Net (take-home) salaries are paid 14 times per year in accordance with Austrian employment law. Benefits include participation in the Austrian national health, pension and workplace accident insurance schemes. The salaries of IPI employees are not subject to income tax in Austria.
Holiday allowance is 25 days per year, in addition to Austrian national holidays.
Please note that a successful candidate who is not an Austrian citizen and is not an Austrian resident in the time period immediately leading up to employment at IPI will have the option to waive participation in the Austrian national health and pension schemes.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position