About the role
The money writer will be a talented journalist and part of a team responsible for producing engaging money journalism for digital and print. This will focus on writing practical "news you can use" pieces as well as telling the stories of real people as a means of giving readers expert advice on how to grow, keep and pass on more of their money and other financial assets.
- Pitching, reporting and writing stories for Telegraph Money online and in print, as well as for the business and newsprint sections
- Writing in a range of formats - primarily expert advice and guides to money topics, but also news, analysis and case study-led series (such as Money Makeovers, Moral Money, Rate My Portfolio and so on)
- Developing original and compelling ideas and creative ways to present them - which could include graphics, calculators, videos, polls etc
- Monitoring reader correspondence via email, story comments, post and social - and use this as a prompt for idea generation
- Monitoring analytics to understand what stories work and how
- Spotting stories or digital projects from raw numbers
- Taking on other responsibilities to help the team meet targets and produce the best quality journalism
- Working collaboratively with colleagues at other desks where appropriate
- Excellent, accurate writing across a range of formats
- An ability to explain and convey complex subjects clearly and comprehensively
- An ability to find new ways to cover the same topics or issues
- Enthusiasm, energy and ability to be part of our happy and successful team
- An ability to show initiative and work well under pressure
- Ability to build a network of contacts across the spectrum of core money topics: pensions, tax, property, investing, and so on
- Confidence and creativity with headlines, standfirst, pictures, graphics, polls etc
- A clear understanding of the Telegraph audience and their interests and needs and ideas for how to reach new readers
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you will also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position