We are an independent news website based in London focused on the Middle East and North Africa looking for a Multimedia Journalist (video department). We provide our readers with news, features, analyses, videos and columns about the region, ranging from political and diplomatic issues to culture, the economy, energy resources, and the environment.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To have the ability to tackle any subject with objectivity, depth and intelligence, while maintaining balance, being fair to all sides and giving everyone their say.
- Ability to source and develop original and distinctive video content.
- Ability of scripting in a range of styles and formats, and to deadlines.
- To maintain a high standard of written English and an ability to improve and learn from others.
- To deepen one's understanding of a highly complex region, where borders are porous and where conflict can easily migrate.
- To find and research relevant stories.
- To write news and other interesting/interactive pieces, exercising editorial judgement, maintaining professional standards and sticking to MEE editorial policies.
- To interview and report, both through telephone conversations and in live situations.
- To produce multi-media content for the website where appropriate where there is skill and technical know-how.
- To suggest story ideas on a regular basis.
- To develop and maintain contacts.
- Plan, manage and undertake special projects such as social media and live blog output as requested.
- At all times to carry out duties in line with health and safety guidelines.
- At all times to carry out duties in line with MEE values and editorial guidelines.
- To undertake special projects as and when requested.
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to tell a story in a clear and engaging way.
- The ability to find good stories and come up with ideas for news items and explain them in a way which suits a variety of audiences, within agreed deadlines.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, especially with the video editors.
- Ability to demonstrate resilience and flexibility with a willingness to learn new skills.
- A passion for Middle East news and current affairs with an awareness of/interest in what's generally happening in the region and beyond.
- Ability to exercise good judgement when selecting and writing stories, mindful of MEE editorial policy and legal issues.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability (or willingness to learn) to use various multimedia tools.
- A keen interest, knowledge and awareness of social media, the digital world and the video industry .
- Understanding of audiences.
- Fluency in Arabic preferably.
This Job Description identifies the main requirements of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which may change over time.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter about your suitability for the job to email@example.com. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for next stage.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position