The Role: News desk manager, global insurance
Grade: 11 (internal use only)
The Location: London (Alternative locations: New York/Washington could be considered but the focus is on London ideally)
S&P Global Market Intelligence seeks an editor and team lead with a passion for financial news and journalism.
The team: The global insurance news team includes reporters and editors in the United Kingdom, United States, Pakistan, and the Philippines. You will also collaborate with other members of S&P Global Market Intelligence's wider global news team. You will be surrounded by experienced journalists and analysts committed to accuracy, fairness, timeliness and relevancy. It is a fast-paced newsroom environment that is congenial and professional.
The Impact: The ideal candidate will have management experience and insurance industry knowledge and will love brainstorming story ideas and thrive on collaboration.
In this role, you will help shape our daily content by guiding the team to develop fresh story ideas and delivering sharp, concise content using in-house data sources, while curating and prioritizing news coverage. You will edit news articles covering a range of topics, including M&A, capital markets activity and regulation, with a sharp focus on accuracy, and to tight deadlines, and track the performance of those stories among our client base and beyond, using that intelligence to shape editorial strategy.
You and your team will generate news content on the global insurance sector, including the listed broking and reinsurance space, tracking the financial performance and capital health of different companies, regulatory changes, technology and ESG trends.
Our subscription-based news service reaches an influential readership that includes insurance companies, investment bankers, buy- and sell-side teams, C-suite professionals, and regulators. Our massive database of market, regulatory and corporate data offers ample opportunities to enhance and drive our news content.
We comb through regulatory filings, attend top industry events and monitor market trends to bring readers the information they need to know. Our comprehensive and timely news gathering operation, combined with our enterprise journalism, creates a unique news source essential to any sector-focused professional.
What is in it for you:
- Explore a highly rewarding career path with room for professional growth, recognition and rewards
- Utilize our extensive database of market, regulatory and corporate data to enrich your ability to deliver high-quality news
- Brainstorm with colleagues who share deep knowledge and passion about the sectors they cover
- Enjoy a competitive benefits package, including annual, performance-driven bonuses
- Develop and execute an editorial strategy for our insurance news team that is aligned to our overall product offering
- Help reporters and data journalists craft and execute story pitches
- Help with news planning by proactively finding/developing story ideas
- Edit a mix of breaking news, longer-form stories and data-driven analyses
- Collaborate with Data Journalists to find ways to incorporate data into stories, driving our news beyond the headlines
- Collaborate with Production team to craft creative infographics and visuals
- Coach and mentor team members, including direct management responsibilities
What we are looking for:
Basic qualifications and experience:
- Strong editing skills and a strong command of journalistic practices (ethics, media law and style etc.)
- Experience editing business content and working knowledge of the insurance industry
- A track record in leading small teams
- An affinity for analyzing numbers, using in-house data intelligence, financial reports and other industry information
- Effective communication skills, particularly in articulating editorial ideas and delivering feedback effectively to writers and editors across the globe
- Strong spoken and written English skill
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- Experience covering or editing insurance content
- Experience working with remote teams
*Candidates will need to pass an in-house written editing test prior to interview
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position
- broadcast journalists broadcast journalists feed
- copywriters copywriters feed
- editorial assistants / trainees editorial assistants / trainees feed
- editors and management editors and management feed
- features features feed
- news news feed
- production and sub-editors production and sub-editors feed
- proofreaders proofreaders feed
- section editors section editors feed
- specialist writers specialist writers feed
- new media new media feed
- social media social media feed