We are an independent news website focused on the Middle East and North Africa looking for an Arabist news Editor. We provide our readers with news, features, analyses, videos and columns about the region, ranging from political and diplomatic issues to culture, the economy, energy resources, and the environment. We have been publishing since April 2014, and launched our French page on 1 January 2015.
This news desk position involves driving the organisation's news gathering operation on a daily basis, both at home, where relevant, and the MENA region in particular. To identify and decide coverage priorities for all organisation’s platforms so as to deliver distinctive journalism across the brief, and manage news teams where appropriate. This role may require a period of temporary cover to deputise for senior staff.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Decide and shape the day’s news agenda for the website and social media platforms and how to best to cover them- both in terms of home news (where relevant to the MENA region) and Middle East news.
- Commissioning articles which either put the organisation ahead of the news curve and get behind the headlines. This does not necessarily mean staying in one's own comfort zone, but being able to spot the journalist or commentator that can give the organisation extra insight and depth. An ability to appreciate good writing and reporting, to pursue stories, delegating and prioritising resources effectively.
- News Sense: Developing an eye for the news but also for those stories which say more about a society or a conflict than hard news can.
- Editing: The ability to know when to go in hard and rewrite an article and when to let the copy flow with minor corrections. The ability to improve a piece of observational writing or reporting or analysis.
- Secure exclusive and distinctive editorial content.
- Brief and deploy reporters and correspondent where necessary.
- To work closely with the senior Editors to ensure the right stories are covered and planned for.
- Present daily editorial plans to the news team.
- To develop and maintain contacts across the brief.
- To identify and develop third party contributors such as stringers and freelancers.
- Undertake work in the field alongside Reporters.
- Make informed legal and health and safety judgements.
- Plan, manage and undertake special projects such as social media and live blog output as requested.
- To undertake special projects as and when requested.
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong decision-making and leadership skills
- Excellent understanding of relevant home and Middle East news agendas
- A strong team player with excellent people management skills and supervisory experience
- Prioritise tasks and story coverage
- The ability to manage a wide range of tasks under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent journalistic judgement
- Experience of news editing confidently in the field
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent knowledge of news gathering infrastructure and internet-based technology
- Awareness of social media platforms etc., and Health and Safety requirements where relevant
- Awareness and understanding of the financial implications of all decision making
- An understanding of personal responsibility for cross-border co-operation
- Ability in and experience of planning, both daily and further ahead
This Job Description identifies the main requirements of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which may change over time.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter about your suitability for the job to email@example.com.