The HuffPost UK news editor is responsible for the energy and ideas that drive the daily news agenda. You’ll assign stories, write engaging headlines, have an eye for the best pictures and video and take charge of forward planning.
As a senior leader in the HuffPost UK team, the news editor has an intrinsic understanding of digital media, is able to spot and anticipate trends, while also assigning and creating original journalism that is highly shareable.
We’re looking for a positive, energetic individual who has a proven record of being able to generate original lines on breaking news stories, integrate video into reporting and with experience of running a news diary.
You’ll be someone who is confident about how and when we do breaking news, and comfortable working with reporters based in different parts of the UK, US and broader HuffPost network.
Following a mobile first approach, you’ll oversee engaging stories that help create a dynamic homepage, are shared widely on social media and help generate new audiences at off site publishers like Apple News.
You’ll help HuffPost make sure HuffPost remains a trusted news source that tells real-life stories for those outside power, using emotion, outrage, humour and empathy.
Obsessed with trending news and social media, you’ll be a master at thinking of engaging new story angles and not afraid to take a creative approach to cover news in an innovative and non-establishment way.
This role is 12-month maternity cover.
- Managing a team of reporters to create trusted, original journalism that relates to our audience
- Generating national stories from a regional perspective, using voices outside of London
- Collaborating with the video team to truly integrate video into our reporting and distribution
- Creating essential journalism at the right time, in the right place and right format
- Be on top of planning and projects across sections to help leverage story distribution
- Collaborate with our global editions to leverage their knowledge to tell international stories
- Oversee publishing process, making sure best standards and practices are adhered to
- 5+ years of newsroom experience with significant time in a leadership role
- Experience managing the news agenda and covering breaking news at a senior level
- Deep understanding of editorial, including breaking news, features, entertainment and culture
- Proven history of working collaboratively across teams, including Video and Social
- Understands forward planning, managing a news diary and conducting news meetings
- Can write, assign and sub copy, switching between informal, funny and informative tones
- Ability to interpret data, audience insights and analytics to inform coverage decisions
- Proven track record of directing impactful journalism and original content across platforms
- Track record of developing and executing strategies to help grow audiences
- Is constantly tapped into trending discussions, social sentiment and online debates
- Understands the HuffPost UK brand and appreciates the importance of the homepage layout
- Can work as part of a rota, including early mornings, weekends and special events