Social Housing magazine has created a new news editor position and is looking for a talented and ambitious financial journalist to join its growing team.
Social Housing is a daily website and monthly magazine for people working in finance, business and governance in the housing sector, including housing associations, advisers and investors. This highly trusted and respected title is valued for its depth, technical detail and considered tone, and its long-standing use of data to report on topical issues.
The news editor will be responsible for writing and planning news, analysis and market updates, driving the magazine's digital presence and commissioning features, news and comment.
The role provides an opportunity to report on one of the most high-profile topics on the domestic political agenda, marked out as a priority by the prime minister. It will require an analytical and measured approach to news, a head for data, the ability to network and manage relationships with senior figures and the opportunity to build a personal profile in the sector.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starting journalist with financial experience looking to take on more responsibility and make their mark. You will be working in a close-knit, expert team.
- Writing exclusive news and analysis while producing authoritative on-diary stories that offer unrivalled insight
- Producing in-depth features, profiles and analysis
- Enhancing the magazines digital output and presence
- Planning and ensuring the timely publication of web content, email bulletins and a monthly print magazine
- Working closely with the editor and data editor to shape content
- Building and maintaining a network of key contacts and influencers
- Representing Social Housing at events
- Commissioning and editing comment pieces from sector experts
Skills, attributes and experience:
- Ability to write clear, engaging copy for a knowledgeable audience
- Skill for interpreting technically complex topics
- Ability to work independently on your own initiative
- Confidence to interview and build high-level contacts
- Commitment to editorial quality and tone
- Financially literate with a strong understanding of business or financial journalism
- Team player, committed to working with colleagues on the editorial, data and events teams
How to apply:
Please apply with a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Please include two or three cuttings or links to pieces that demonstrate your talents and experience, and your salary expectation for the role.