The news editor sets the tone for everything Construction News does, from our daily content and newsletters, to our campaigns, investigations and events. Our work on Carillion, High Speed 2, gender diversity and mental health is part of why we’re shortlisted as Press Gazette’s Specialist Publication of the Year in 2018.
The news editor role is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious journalist to create brilliant content and inspire the wider editorial team through our online-first journalism and our weekly print title. Our annual campaigns have focused on mental health and diversity in the last two years and are award-winning (Mind: Best Publication 2017). You will lead a team of reporters in planning, researching and writing award-winning analyses and investigations.
You will want to produce ambitious and quality news that is of value to Construction News’ target audience of senior leaders in the construction industry. This includes breaking agenda-setting news stories, picked up in the national media. By building relationships with senior individuals and organisations working on a beat, you will contribute to new and existing CN events and campaigns, including the CN Summit and Inspire Me.
You’ll be a leader of a team that is passionate about quality journalism, that has fun and that aspires to be the best in B2B media.
- Running the news desk
- Working with the head of content and editor to help devise investigations and campaigns
- Writing news stories, analyses, investigations, interviews and news-led features
- Producing daily ‘digital-first’ content and adapting as appropriate for the magazine
- Monitoring online traffic and producing digital-only content
- Contributing to events including the CN Summit and bespoke events like Inspire Me, round tables and webinars
- Raising your and CN’s profile through social media and broadcast media appearances
- The ideal candidate will have a BA/BSc or higher
- We require an NCTJ journalism qualification or equivalent.
- 100wpm shorthand is preferred
- Evidence of line managing, mentoring or leading a team
- Experience of editing copy is a must
Skills & Competencies:
- A motivator, keen to both produce excellent content but also to guide others with producing their own content.
- Proven interest in data journalism, infographics, social media and financial reporting.
- Passionate, organised, enthusiastic with the ability to meet daily deadlines and break industry-leading news; make excellent contacts and build strong relationships with the biggest names in the industry.
- Passionate interest in news and current affairs and desire to help improve the industry through CN’s campaigning style of journalism.
- Autonomous worker, but one who can work in a team and work with the head of content and news editor to contribute and develop award-winning, insightful content.
- Must be able to think on their feet, be an excellent communicator and be conscious of positively representing Construction News at all times both internally within EMAP and externally.
- Must be ambitious and enjoy being part of a close-knit team
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to Zak.GP@emap.com to apply for this job.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position