Job title: news editor
For almost 40 years, Shephard Media has been providing high-quality business intelligence to the aerospace and defence markets, through a combination of magazines, online news services, and handbooks.
Particularly well known within the rotorcraft, unmanned vehicles, C4ISR, naval and land warfare markets, Shephard Media has recently expanded into new sectors, providing new digital offerings to ensure we best serve our global markets as a leading supplier of defence business intelligence.
We are now looking for a news editor to further strengthen Shephard Media’s online news content, with overall responsibility for the commissioning, editing, scheduling and promotion of news stories.
The news editor will ensure that the flow of news across our channels meets the strategic objectives of the company, providing readers with content that is original, exclusive, informative and entertaining.
We are looking for a proven editorial leader with experience shaping quality news and raising editorial standards in a busy B2B newsroom environment.
The position is based in our busy West London office but some international travel to defence exhibitions is an integral part of the role.
- Manage the commissioning, editing, generation and scheduling of online news stories.
- Ensure copy is accurate, libel-free, accompanied by photos, and conforms to house style, set lengths and formats.
- Work with the domain editors to strengthen Shephard Media’s online news coverage further, ensuring the company is providing distinct and unique content that engages audiences and cannot be found with other outlets.
- Work with Shephard Media’s analyst team to further integrate the content and analysis being produced by Defence Insight to enrich news articles.
- Manage show news/special reports in coordination with the managing editor and tasking the domain editors as required.
- Develop and maintain digital-first writing strategies to ensure copy is tailored for the Premium News subscription offering.
- Work with the advertising sales team to scope, offer and deliver bespoke news products and solutions to clients.
- Monitor Google Analytics and work with company marketing elements to ensure stories meet SEO and reader requirements, and are promoted across channels.
- Experience required.
- 5+ years’ experience delivering breaking news in a busy B2B newsfeed or magazine environment.
- Proven editorial leadership skills and the demonstrated ability to plan and managing a content schedule, meeting multiple daily and weekly deadlines.
- Expertise in editorial processes, ensuring content is of highest editorial quality and standards.
- Knowledge of analytics and SEO tools, and the demonstrated ability to promote content across channels and platforms.
- The ability to travel overseas to cover key trade shows and events.
- Knowledge of the defence sector and military equipment is an advantage but not essential.
30 Saville Road
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position