Do you want to work for the most exciting media company in the business, covering the best country in the world? The dailyrecord.co.uk is already the largest news website in Scotland and GlasgowLive and EdinburghLive are the best-read titles in their cities - but we want to get even bigger. We are now launching Aberdeen Live and need journalists who are passionate about the city they live, work and play in.
As part of our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for experienced content editor to help launch Aberdeen Live. You will be part of an editorial team responsible for developing the brand in line with company strategy.
You will lead a team of enthusiastic news reporters and trainee journalists in finding the best content, and know how to get those stories seen. You will work with trainee reporters on their newsgathering skills and lead the team on a fast-paced daily turnaround, covering off-diary exclusives and breaking news at once.
We are looking for candidates with strong leadership skills, excellent storytelling techniques, superb knowledge of social media and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this, the role may close without notice, so please do not delay in your application.
So, who are we?
This role is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!.
We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Help to lead the team within a geographic cluster, to achieve digital audience growth and engagement targets
- Ensure that resources at all levels in our newsrooms are clearly focused and managed as effectively as possible to deliver their digital targets
- Responsible for delivering registered users strategy
- Ensure effective use of social media tools by newsroom staff
- Deputise for the editor as needed and act as a champion of our news brands
- Play an ambassadorial role for your region's brands and the business as a whole, in person and via social media
- Support local and executive management in the delivery of overall strategy
- Take accountability for the fair and consistent application of all our people policies, procedures and processes.
- Foster a high-performance culture by setting clear expectations and having in-the-moment performance discussions.
- Develop a culture of trust, where people are safe to speak up, clear on their role in the team’s success and empowered to be their best at work
- Reward and recognise great performance, celebrating people's achievements and successes
- Ensure the continued development of team members, supporting them to reach their full potential
- Partner with our HR team to attract, develop and maintain the best talent to help the business achieve its goals, now and in the future. Including monitoring engagement and using employee feedback to continually improve
- Act as a role model and taking a lead on change initiatives
The ideal candidate
- Communication, including written, face-to-face, presentation skills and the ability to cascade consistent messages for maximum impact
- Planning and organisation
- Long-standing experience as a content editor
- Experience as a manager
- Strong news sense
- Proven strong digital publishing skills
- Competitive salary
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Homeworking flexibility
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position