Newtrade Media inspires and supports the causes and advancement of the independent retail and wholesale channel. We share knowledge, nurture relationships and deliver creative solutions that drive standards and results.
Our digital and print brands for retail owners work together to take readers on a journey from accessing good value information for free to paying for top quality content.
The reporter will cover a range of subjects related to the convenience retail market, but will specialise in newspapers and magazines. Through your weekly news page, magazines section and contacts with publishers, you will energise news specialists and convenience retailers, across RN, Retail Express and betterRetailing.com. You will also contribute to our features section by writing store profile features and by developing and planning innovative long format pieces.
The reader journey starts with free content on Retail Express, betterRetailing.com and social media, and ends with paid subscriptions to RN. Your aim is to deliver exclusive news and campaigns that help independent retailers to be successful, to engage with Newtrade content and to buy into RN in print and online every week.
Through our print, online and social media offering, you will deliver educational and actionable news, features and analysis and build relationships with key experts and the future stars of retail.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following (others may be assigned)
- To generate exclusive news and features in print and online that stand out from the competition.
- To write, fact-check and proof RN’s weekly News and Magazine and TWIM pages and scheduled news and magazine features.
- To be responsible for planning all news and feature content for print and online for this specialist area, agreeing content with section editors before publishing.
- To actively contribute to breaking news pages, submit news and features from the events and interviews attended and produce daily digital content.
- To develop specialist knowledge of and contacts within the newspaper and magazine industry.
- To upload regular digital content, adapting it for a digital audience and ensuring content is optimised for search engines. To promote this content through social media.
- To engage with readers and support our strategy for subscription growth.
- To ensure our editorial values of accuracy, relevance and ease of use are met, and that all material published is within the law.
- To form relationships with key staff at the NFRN to assist your story gathering.
- To collaborate with all departments within the business.
- To live the company’s values.
- Reasonable after hours mingling with customers, readers and industry participants is expected
- You have a track record of sourcing and writing exclusive, accurate and innovative news for print and online with an understanding of how this generates engagement and/or grows copy sales.
- You will be creative, with an ability to present innovative ideas that deliver against the latest market trends and stand out from the competition.
- You will have good people skills and be a good collaborator, demonstrated by examples of building contacts, growing direct reports and working as a team to deliver industry shaping stories.
- You have the ability to understand and represent readers, demonstrated by examples of effective communication, creative presentation and product development.
- You thrive under pressure and are highly organised, with great planning skills and a track record of hitting deadlines.
- You will have strong social media and digital skills, demonstrated by examples of innovation and obtaining a great response.
- You will have two years’ experience working as a reporter in a busy news room.
- A high level of organisation, great planning skills and ability to hit multiple deadlines.
- A proven team player who can work effectively in a group, but can also use own initiative.
- The ability to understand and represent readers, demonstrated by examples of quality, accurate writing and editing, effective communication, relationship building, and product improvement.
- Fluency with using social media to promote and gather news.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position