- JOB TITLE: Oil Markets Reporter
- REPORTS TO: Bureau Chief, London
- DEPARTMENT: Editorial
- LOCATION: London
Energy Intelligence (EI) is the leading independent provider of integrated intelligence -- analysis, research and data -- to the energy sector. With editorial coverage in 15 focused daily and weekly publications and nearly 60 years of archives, our award-winning editorial team delivers high-quality news and analysis covering the most important developments in the energy industry. Our research and advisory (R&A) service provides clients with guidance to improve their decisions, identify opportunities and mitigate risk. And our data analytics provide trusted, unique and differentiated data to support our clients’ analysis and decision-making.
The vacancy is for an oil markets reporter based in our London bureau, and involves producing original news and analysis on European and Atlantic Basin physical and paper oil markets -- with particular emphasis on the North Sea, Mediterranean and West African crude markets – for a range of Energy Intelligence publications.
The successful candidate will have an established track record in oil market reporting, a solid grasp of oil market fundamentals and trading dynamics, strong writing and analytical skills and a good contact book. He or she should also be able to work independently with little supervision, and to find and develop original news and feature story ideas that will help differentiate Energy Intelligence from its competitors.
- Work as part of our international oil markets team, with focus on European and Atlantic Basin crude markets, both paper and physical, as well as the European refining sector.
- Provide regular news-driven stories for International Oil Daily, and longer analytical features looking at market trends and their implications for various of our weekly publications, including Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, Energy Compass, Jet Fuel Intelligence and Nefte Compass, and for our monthly market title, Oil Market Intelligence.
- Attend weekly editorial planning meetings to coordinate oil market coverage with editors and reporters in other bureaus.
- Attend conferences, corporate presentations and other industry events as required in London and overseas in support of our coverage.
- Support Energy Intelligence’s wider commercial efforts in whatever way editorial management consider appropriate, e.g. through cooperation with sales team on participation in client meetings, other forms of client engagement.
You will also be required to carry out any other duties which may reasonably be required of you.
- Established track record in oil market journalism, including a proven ability to interpret and explain oil market data
- Clear and concise writing style
- High level of numeracy and strong data skills
- Strong critical and analytical skills
- Ability to develop original story and analytical ideas and see angles our competitors don’t
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communications skills to facilitate cooperation with colleagues in London bureau and overseas
- Good presentational skills to support engagement with clients
This job description is not exhaustive and may be updated to reflect relevant changes in line with business requirements.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position