Practical Publishing International Ltd, the UK's leading specialist craft media group, is looking for an online editor for CraftWorld.
Are you an experienced editor who is creative and passionate about producing top quality content on time and on budget? Are you incredibly organised and excellent at project managing, with superb attention to detail?
Do you want to work for a company with fantastic opportunities that will see your ideas brought to life globally on-line?
If so, then look no further as this is the job for you!!!
About the company
The business is a market-leading international media group specialising in hobbyist markets serving publications, e-commerce, websites, subscription kits and products to its growing audience. This rapidly growing and innovative business is poised for further growth and as a result is seeking a dynamic person who has a keen eye for crafts and the ability to meet the needs of the reader, bursting with new ideas and enthusiasm and who thrives off working in a busy, deadline driven environment.
About the job
The successful candidate will take on a key online editorial role for CraftWorld, Practical Publishing's online community forum which is a friendly place for all papercrafters to come together, be inspired and share their love of crafting. You will ensure that content is published on time, on budget and to the highest standards.
Role and responsibilities
- Ensuring the website homepage always reflects the brand identity, and provides strong headlines and imagery in keeping with the product brief and mission statement
- Ensuring the content of the site is appropriate for the audience
- Setting and delivering the editorial content plan, adhering to deadlines agreed with the publisher
- Commissioning freelance writers, photographers or designers to work within the agreed budget; ensuring that freelancers are fully briefed as to website style, focus and deadlines
- Passing copy/proofs/layouts. The editor has ultimate responsibility for passing copy, proofs and layouts for publication on the website.
- Liaising with the publisher and marketing function to develop and execute the long-term CraftWorld strategy
- Liaising with relevant staff in other departments or roles within the company (eg art, production, advertising, marketing) to support the production and commercial performance of CraftWorld
- Support the publisher in developing contacts within the market, and representing CraftWorld to the industry
- Guarding the look and feel of the website
- Proposing developments which will help ensure the appeal of the website to its intended audience to the publisher
- Sourcing competitions or other relevant promotions for use on the website
- Identifying trends within the market and reacting to market conditions in a timely and appropriate way. (Regular market information will be provided, but this is to strengthen the editor's knowledge of their market, and is not a substitute for market knowledge).
With that in mind the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Knowledge of, and ability to meet, the needs of the reader
- Ideas, creativity and originality
- Ability to hit deadlines
- Ability to produce clear, detailed commissions for internal and external writers to follow
- Leadership (decision-making, problem solving)
- Writing skills, and ability to spot good writing and design
- Subbing and proofing
- Pro-active in internal relationship-building
- Pro-active in external relationship-building and ability to act as website’s spokesperson
- Awareness of relevant intellectual property law - in particular, passing-off, trade mark infringement and copyright infringement
- Awareness of other law relevant to publishing - in particular, libel
- Numeracy and computer literacy - using Microsoft Office, Quark, InDesign
- Awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of competing titles
- At least two to three years' experience in an editorial capacity
- Commercial awareness
- Understanding of craft audience
Experience of working in a similar industry would be an advantage but not essential if strong project-management skills can be demonstrated. This job is suited to somebody who has experience of working in a fast-paced working environment, who is extremely organised with attention to detail and has strong written skills.
Terms and conditions
Permanent and full time based at the Stockport office.
Monday - Thursday 9.00am to 5.30pm AND Friday 9.00am - 4.00pm.
**FLEXIBLE WORKING WILL BE CONSDIERED FOR THE RIGHT CANDIDATE**
Salary: £Attractive & Competitive DOE
20 days' holiday per year, plus bank holidays, plus Christmas closure, free car park (Rota basis), cycle to work scheme, free refreshments, modern offices, company social events, and flexible work patterns and auto enrolment company pension.
Please send your CV with a covering letter ensuring that you detail how you meet the essential criteria outlined above.
For a full job description and person specification please visit the company website via the following link:
CLOSING DATE IS 20 OCTOBER 2020
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position