Newsweek is looking for a talented editor to join its online team in London. The Online News Editor will be responsible for editing news content for Newsweek.com and will contribute to the editorial agenda of the brand, ensuring that all content is of the highest quality.
The ideal candidate values speed, accuracy, and original reporting in equal measures, has excellent attention to detail and thrives on the challenge of working in a fast-paced, breaking news environment. We are looking for a nimble, energetic editor to tackle a dizzying array of subjects and build on the success of Newsweek’s London bureau and continue to grow its readership.
This is a full time role based in Canary Wharf, London.
- Line-editing original content for publication on the Newsweek website, including breaking news, explainers, opinion, ambitious long-form stories and other web features
- Copy editing, fact-checking and proofreading according to house style, to avoid typos, errors, style variations
- Writing web-friendly headlines that give stories the best possible chance of finding an audience
- Finding original stories and unique angles to ensure Newsweek’s audience is kept up-to-date and interested
- Mentoring reporters and working with them to improve quality of their copy
- Working as part of a team to make Newsweek’s coverage as strong and coherent as possible, including working with the video and social media teams
- Working quickly and diligently to make sure breaking news and events are covered as they happen, and finding new ways to cover stories after they have broken
- Ensuring web content conforms to best practice, including SEO. Helping to manage copy flow processes and deadlines. Liaising with senior editors to ensure that all web articles meet content and quality standards
- Raising legal queries with writers and editors
- Working flexible hours depending on the requirements of the news cycle (This role will sometimes require an early start; candidates should also be prepared to work out of office hours if the news agenda requires it.)
- Considerable experience in an assigning, sub-editing or other editing position for a reputable publication
- Excellent attention to detail, strong communication and organizational skills, and a steadfast adherence to deadlines
- Efficiency in a fast-paced and highly collaborative news environment
- Knowledge of U.S. media landscape; familiarity with U.S. current events
- Ability to write using American English; some knowledge of AP style guide
- Knowledge of SEO, SMO principles and strategies
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below