Germany's international public broadcaster Deutsche Welle, is looking for regular freelance news writers to work in its fast-paced English language online newsroom in Bonn, Germany.
Our international team of news writers at www.dw.com provides breaking news that affects people around the world and gives the German/European perspectives on international events.
We report comprehensively and objectively on politics, business and culture, society - with a special focus on democracy building, human rights and freedom of opinion.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Fast writing of news articles and headlines for dw.com in a variety of formats, based on wire reports, DW’s own reporting, social and other sources, in our fast-paced newsroom
- Identifying news topics that are relevant for an international audience
- Editing English news texts for publication / AP style
- Translating German audio and text into English
- Selecting and editing video news material for the website
- Layouting multimedia articles on the website
- Breaking news reporting on the ground for online and TV
- Sound knowledge of international events and politics, especially European issues
- Experience of writing SEO headlines
- Familiarity with work in a news team with a high content turnover and a need for speed and accuracy
- Familiarity with using social media for news gathering and news distribution
- English language at native speaker level
- Very good German language skills (B2 and above)
- Willingness to relocate to Bonn, Germany
- Ability and willingness to work night shifts
We are always seeking to recruit.
Head of Online News
Kurt Schumacher Str. 3
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position